Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Please help me generate a loft

gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to loft the 2 faces (Face 1 & Face 2) in the part below but I can't seem to achieve it and was wondering if someone could help please?

Link to document here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/103df7df35e7f8b79d212ded/w/6b205c965461e2886eab2c08/e/bcd5c45edd764c5271e32ede

Many thanks in advance! :)

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Are they identical face profiles?  If so would a revolve be easier?
    OwS.
    That worked! Thanks Owen. I was looking for a more flat profile rather than a rounded one but it'll do - thanks mate.
  • Options
    you could use a filled surface to cap the top off. see them added to this doc
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fb11dab93784f9803a523950/w/2728b60dd0afc54f14b45ce4/e/9a27108379880d4eef3d2a40

This is exactly what I'm after, thanks! 

Can I ask what the requirements are of a loft? It doesn't seem to generate on many occasions. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    gyrex said:
    This is exactly what I'm after, thanks!
    Nice job @brucebartlett
    gyrex said:
    Can I ask what the requirements are of a loft? It doesn't seem to generate on many occasions. 
    I had a play in the mean time.

(1) No nested profiles (so do a specific sketch for each face)
    (2) I don't believe they can share an edge as you have in face 1 and face 2.  I managed a loft just separating them a tad, with the intention of a delete face or little extrude to put the missing bit back in.  Seems over complicated though but has the benefit of allowing guide curves.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just made a corner part using 3 fill surfaces which stitch together to form a solid when fully closed, then combined with a boolean. I still wasn't happy with the fillets but didn't want to mess around anymore.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ^^^Nice :-)

My last offering.

Pair of composite curves, one for each edge.
    New plane to put guide on
    Sketch with guide spline
    Loft surface

Rest as per @brucebartlett method to build solid.

Interesting game.  Same tome tomorrow?

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks, I'll have a close look at how you achieved these when I get home. 

• Options
    No worries!

Bruce - you may respond with a Welsh stereotype if you wish! :p

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    No Worries Mate, is all I have in my Aussie accent, @owen_sparks not sure what you mean about Welsh stereotype. 

@gyrex that was a nice little challenge. Hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    ^^ Thought I'd do your response and you could do mine...
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks Are you Aussie? 

@brucebartlett glad I could help you guys out with a challenge! 

I've never done CAD before but I really love this stuff. It's a shame I didn't have a career in it. Onshape is a tremendous tool and the developers should be proud of their wonderful creation! 

BTW, is there any way to work offline with Onshape? I'll be caravanning around Oz for 12 months soon and would love to keep designing, but internet access in remote areas will be bad at best and non existent at worst. Tinkering with Onshape is both relaxing and educational and I'd love to be able do this on the road. 
  • Options
    you could use a filled surface to cap the top off. see them added to this doc
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fb11dab93784f9803a523950/w/2728b60dd0afc54f14b45ce4/e/9a27108379880d4eef3d2a40

@brucebartlett Sorry guys, I created a fill per your helpful tip. Does this fill function just create a surface? I can't seem to add this section to my part after creating it. I can see a new surface has been created in the parts list. I feel like I'm missing a step but I can't figure out what it is...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/103df7df35e7f8b79d212ded/w/6b205c965461e2886eab2c08/e/bcd5c45edd764c5271e32ede
  • Options
    Howdy.  You need 3 separate fill operations (one per face) as per Bruce's hyperlink.  On the last one OS detects that the final surface creates an enclosed space and magics a solid into being.  Clever eh? :)

Also no offline at all in OS, and No,  I'm a Welsh/English hybrid, so the intended joke was I'd reply as Bruce and he can do my reply.  Guess if I have to explain it then it was a feeble attempt at humor... :(

OwS

HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Hi Owen, I've created the 3 fill operations but a solid hasn't been created. I'm sorry to bug you... What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    Couple of things.

(1) You need to set each fill surface as an "add" to the previous one, not a "new"
    (2) Only two of your surfaces touch, the flat base misses the flat back by a tiny bit if you really zoom in. 
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Finally did it! Thanks @owen_sparks

Because there's quite a few common lines between sketches and extrudes, it kept selecting the wrong line. Have you got a tip for a novice such that I can select the correct line easier in the future rather than having to zoom all the way in? Is there some easy way of quickly hiding the lines of extrudes/sketches to make that kind of job easier in the future?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Great news, glad you got it sorted.

Yeah, I like to hide everything that could be mistakenly selected for such operations. 

Tips:-
    (1) Keyboard shortcut "Y" hides whatever you're hovering over. (Either in the main viewing area or the parts list.)

(2) "Hide all parts", "Hide All Sketches" and their "hide all other parts/sketches" equivalents from the right click menu also really useful here.

(3) Even with stuff set to hide OS will "helpfully" infer geometry from stuff that is hidden, which can muddy the waters here.  A trick Philip Thomas mentioned is to create a plane on a face, then the sketch on the plane (not on the face) to stop this happening.

Have fun.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I should put in a feature request to buy beers for helpful forum users, you've helped me on a number of occasions Owen and I really appreciate it! Great tips! 
  • Options
    Hi @gyrex, kind of you to say, thanks.

I'll send you the IP address of my 3d printer, just send a beer file to it! 

Seriously though I'm no expert, I've just been using OS for a while so have picked it up from using it, a few videos, forum q's and webinars.  Taking a go at answering other peoples questions is also a sort of training so of benefit to me too.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    With @owen_sparks on that, helping others helps you learn new things your self.  

Cheers, to virtual beers  :)