Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Solid Edge Etch import into Onshape

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use the Etch command in Solid Edge and then export the file as a .x_t file, go to options and check off export solids, sheet, and wires. When you import the .x_t file into Onshape, the geometry that you created in the etch command on Solid Edge will show up in the Onshape document.

Pretty cool.

Just wanted to share that with the community

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Ok, that IS cool! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I am not familiar with the etch command in Solid Edge but I am imagining this would add part numbers, etc for laser etch?

Is this a feature Onshape should have? Sounds like it a different Parasolid feature to the std solid, sheet and wire frame.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The etch command in Solid Edge allows you to convert sketch entities into geometry that is carried to the flat pattern of a part and to the drawing environment. When you save the flat as a .dxf,directly from the 3D model, you can set the etch layer color to the color you want the .dxf to have. This is useful for CAM software that uses colors of a .dxf to differentiate if the geometry is a cut through, etch, or bend.

And yes I use the etch command for part numbers.

It would be a great feature for Onshape to have.....along with Single Line Font.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited September 2017
    The etch command in Solid Edge allows you to convert sketch entities into geometry that is carried to the flat pattern of a part and to the drawing environment. When you save the flat as a .dxf,directly from the 3D model, you can set the etch layer color to the color you want the .dxf to have. This is useful for CAM software that uses colors of a .dxf to differentiate if the geometry is a cut through, etch, or bend.

And yes I use the etch command for part numbers.

It would be a great feature for Onshape to have.....along with Single Line Font.
    This is something we have been talking about for a long time now. I am sure there are many requests out there to be voted on.
    @philip_thomas it would be really really cool to get this into Onshape to save using a dwg edit to add after export

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @brucebartlett - please make sure that you have submitted specific tickets - one request per ticket.
    Tickets are linked to stories and we add up the number of Pro tickets against each story to help us decide which ones to work on in the next sprint :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape