Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Planar dimensions

When clicking on two lines, curves, points etc, we get dimensions in x,y,z and minimum distance, etc, but often times the points or curves are out plane, and the dimension I'm looking for is minimum distance in a plane, not in 3D. Having the ability to get minimum distance or other relevant dimension (center to center, maximum distance) in an xy, xz, yz plane, without having to do the math based off the xyz distances would be great. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @marshall_wentworth So you have a visual example that I can look at?  For holes usually surface or edge selections will give you C to C.  Let me know.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the problem is that minimum distance in projection shouldn't necessarily match the projection of minimal distance, so better to make a projection first and measure the value you need