Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Slow (tectonic) performance with new Nvidia 1050 Ti

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
So, things were getting a little slow with my old Quadro 4000 so I popped $160 for a new 1050 Ti.  Of course,with a new card, I upgraded the driver to the latest one.  Now the system streams HD video without a hitch, plays video games at high frame rates, and web paged just pop onto the screen.

However, Onshape is almost frozen.  The following result is the same with Chrome, Opera and FireFox - what gives?

Your browser is compatible with Onshape
User agent
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36
Core WebGL
Float textures
Anisotropic texture filtering
32-bit indices

GL renderer
Google SwiftShader
GL vendor
Google Inc.
Overall performance*
Measured triangles per second
0.1 million
Measured lines per second
0.6 million

*For information on graphics performance, visit: Graphics Performance Recommendations
WebSocket connection
Onshape server region
us-west-2
Expected server region

Answers

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    edited September 2017
    Hi @bill_daniels. Those performance numbers from the check page are terrible. What distro and kernel version are you using?

Can you hit some other WebGL tests on the net? I'm suspecting that performance will be bad as well. Are you using the native NVIDIA drivers or the ones with your distro? I think your comment above says that you are using the native drivers.

I would look at this article, specifically the mention of the proprietary drivers PPA: https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/2017/06/17/the-gtx-1050-sc-and-linux-what-can-you-expect/ 

See if those drivers help. You should be getting more than 100 million triangles/sec in the test above.

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I think I fixed it.  I removed then re-installed the Nvidia drivers.  Apparently there was a corrupted driver set on some PPA which was quickly fixed.  Now my system performs like this:
    User agent
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36
    Core WebGL
    Float textures
    Anisotropic texture filtering
    32-bit indices

GL renderer
    GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
    GL vendor
    NVIDIA Corporation
    Overall performance*
    Measured triangles per second
    226.4 million
    Measured lines per second
    142.4 million

*For information on graphics performance, visit: Graphics Performance Recommendations
    WebSocket connection
    Onshape server region
    us-west-2
    Expected server region
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    That's more like it! Glad you were able to work it out.

How does Onshape perform with the new card now?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.