Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to make extrusions permanent?

Perhaps its a workflow issue on my end since I have only been using OnShape now for about 5 hours, but what is really throwing me off is that extrusions are not permanent per se. I like that I can modify them for future changes, but when sketching on a different plane, if I don't select the "Finaly" button none of my previous extrusions show up.

Perhaps I went about this the wrong way, but I am designing a bolt carrier for an airsoft gun. I sketched out all the detail I could on the front face and extruded backwards for depth on the part. Then to make the cuts and recess's I needed I created a new plane and sketch on the left face and started sketching there, Is that not how to do it?

Here is my model I am working on: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/10e9fb7205f6f00dd15179ae/w/3d6ebf2930172dc1a18adbaf/e/d4a41209be244bd16109bfb3 

Please if there are any tips anyone can offer please do so. Like I mentioned earlier I have very limited experience in CAD as I am coming over from Sketchup. 

Best Answer

Answers

• daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    One thing that might help.  You don't have to create a new plane just to make a sketch.  Instead you can just use any flat surface as the sketch plane, which will keep the sketches in the correct location even if you modify an earlier extrusion. In general your model looks fairly good.  
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    The final button displays features created after the feature you are editing. The feature list is a history or recipe of how the model was built. When you edit an earlier feature the later ones don't yet exist. The final button displays them for you (but you cannot reference them).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steven_abiusosteven_abiuso Member Posts: 11
    NeilCooke said:
    The final button displays features created after the feature you are editing. The feature list is a history or recipe of how the model was built. When you edit an earlier feature the later ones don't yet exist. The final button displays them for you (but you cannot reference them).
    Hi Neil, thank you for the answer. I have a followup question for you though; If I need to reference the extruded geometry for a different sketch(my fillet and extrusions above that)do I need to start a sketch past all the extrusion commands on the feature list? I think the way I have it now Sketch 2 is before Extrude 14 thus not letting me select vertices or lines from that extrusion, am I correct here?
  • steven_abiusosteven_abiuso Member Posts: 11
    One thing that might help.  You don't have to create a new plane just to make a sketch.  Instead you can just use any flat surface as the sketch plane, which will keep the sketches in the correct location even if you modify an earlier extrusion. In general your model looks fairly good.  
    Thanks Daniel! very helpful tip for a new user.