Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Learning OnShape

mark_verhuncemark_verhunce Member Posts: 4
I am a student who has never used a CAD design program.  I am taking a strategic management plan class where I need to develop a 3d model of a product as part of a team final project.  The 3D model is of a telescopic pole with two 2' sections.  On the outside end of Section 1 I need to have a square piece that allows for an attachment to snap in much like on straps or dog collars.  There will be 2 different attachments, one is a suction cup and the other is a clamp. On the extending section ends, I would like a hole on the outside section and on the inside section, I would like push buttons.

I know this is a fairly simple design, is there anyone one that can tell me how to create this product.

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @mark_verhunce Firstly, welcome to Onshape! I think the best place to start will be at the beginning. We have some concise content for helping you get started. I would take a look here first: https://www.onshape.com/learn/learn-cad and then take a look at the 5 tutorials we have in the product.

As you progress, feel free to share you designs and questions here in the forums and we will provide help along the way.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• mark_verhuncemark_verhunce Member Posts: 4
    How do I share the design?
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    How do I share the design?
    See here:  https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sharedocuments.htm
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    If you want to show us your design here on the forum, just post the URL in a comment :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2017
    I'd start with a sketch: on a napkin, piece of paper or a white board with multi-color. Capture overall size, part count & critical dimensions.

In OS you'll need to decide:
    •bottom up design
    •part studio
    •top down design

I figure you'll probably go with a part studio as this is the 1st level in OS. This means all your parts will be in a part studio. All web downloaded parts will come into this part studio as derived parts studios. I'd call this part studio "layout" which will designate this is where the design work is performed. You'll have many part studios and I use folders to keep the part studios organized.

There will be an assembly at some time, maybe. Assemblies allow motion and instancing. This is where your parts start to move and if you have a single part copied to many locations, do it here. Copying many parts around in a part studio isn't pretty. Some will never create an assembly and use just the part studio especially for designs that don't move. Also, if you use an assembly, use saved positions to control the move states. You may think you're duplicating effort here, it's just the way it is and this is true with all 3D parametric modelers. A part studio as a "layout" and an assembly may seem redundant, I think it is, but this is our structure.

There are no standards how to put a top level together in CAD. There will be many suggestions how to do this and once you're done, you've really just begun.

• mark_verhuncemark_verhunce Member Posts: 4
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/33a22b15adfe2e6493eadf6f/w/01f79af860e8b5ee35eb8e33/e/0754c4d79f9b66bbb1620406. How do I put two small holes on one end.  The next part will be another piece just like this, however the diameter will be a little smaller so it can fit inside this one to make it telescopic.  On the second part, I want two have two buttons that will line up with the first part locking it in place.