Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In sketch adding dimension

len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
Why is there no ability to do math functions in the dimension field, would really help when a drawing you are give has running dims or need 3 times or 1/2 the number. oh yes units would be nice also as some of the others do mm, in, cm, m after the number and converts to the current units being used.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @len_1962‌ This is getting a lot of attention and I have added a ticket for you. Once it is addressed, you will be notified. If there are more people that want this, you can let me know and I will add you to it.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Currently we store the units with the dimension value so that they remain in the dimension definition and can be changed. All sketch dimensions default to the units of the document at time of creation but can have different units specified. If they DO then the value shown in the sketch is, e.g. 1 but the value when you edit is 25.4mm. This is similar to how we expect math functions and equations could work, where the equation is kept around and modifiable but the shown value is the calculated one.

Alternatively/additionally, we could do a one-off calculation and store the calculated result, not the equation. Is that "one shot equation" of value if we have "full" equations?
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
    Paul,
    just need simple calculator to do the math because maybe I don't have a one handy, so in the dimension field i would type, 2.345-1.365 +.65875 hit enter and it sets the dim in the field, don't need to hold onto the equation just calculate it and done. SW does this and it is so so handy!
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Ok. Understood. Thanks.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    +1 for this. I use this all the time in SolidWorks
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    and also.... entering unit specific dimensions using a suffix modifier - for example, working in an english unit part and entering a dimension that I want to be metric instead, so why not instead of entering 5 enter 5mm and the dialog does the conversion to english automatically. t\This is a great feature and time saver in SW that I use all the time because in my product design work I'm constantly working with stock components that area mix of english and metric.