Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using slider mate with assembly pattern (piston in cylinder problem)

Does anyone know how to solve the following problem in the simplest way:

If we have a cylinder and there is a piston that slides along the axis (with the set mate - slider). How to modulate the number of cylinders and pistons with the help of a linear or circular pattern so that the mate - slider is retained, but that the position of the pistons from the beginning of the cylinder is not the same (the pistonare not at the same
position)?

Answers

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    sketch a crankshaft
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    I don't know if this is what you're going for, but it may give you some ideas. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a289fac44669e296712d59ed/v/1aed405bd33b33527706c479/e/7ba8d22c1dd299a4b12616e6
  • dejan_pavicevicdejan_pavicevic Member Posts: 8
    It's about a kind of piston pump (with a cam instead of a crankshaft)!
    On the sketch is a
    cam, pump body with a cylinder and a piston inside the cylinder. On the basis of this sketch in the part studio was made a all parts and inserted into the assembly. I made a mate connection between the one piston and the cylinder (slider mate) and between cam and the piston (tangent mate)! And it works. I have animation.
    When I increase the number of cylinders with the circular pattern and try to increase number of piston also
    with circular pattern I lose the connection between the cam and pistons. All piston move as original and do not follow the cam.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You may not be able to pattern, try replicate instead.

It make sense that a pattern would follow the seed part's relative position.