Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Converting eps to dwg and importing

mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
I have used two different software ( cloud convert and convertico ) to convert an eps file to dwg,  when I import it I get a black screen with unintelligible lines. I have been frustrated with this process for months now and I really need help. The image is that of a deer that I need to work on in Onshape. Below is the url of the rendered image. I need help, what am I doing wrong?

Please help.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/53a905fe1d569b1e7e211c21/w/bcf9a9c30b3d57b2a266b624/e/0a3f6ecb0b7e336ef73d51d0

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @mario_darceuil ,

Where is the original EPS file coming from?  Is there any chance you can export it from the original program directly as a DWG, or get it in some other format?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi @mario_darceuil,

Two more things could help here. Could you please attach an image of what the DWG should look like, and could you leave the imported blob tab in your document? That will allow us to see if anything is wrong with the imported file.

Thank you,

Mike
  • Options
    I just need the outline of the image not all of the colors etc. Let me see what I can do.
  • Options
    https://www.colourbox.com/vector/deer-cartoon-isolated-vector-5198706

I don't need the colors, I just need the outline of the image so I can work on it. Such that I can put holes for motor mounts and steering and seats, etc. please help.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @mario_darceuil ,

Do you need to work with the DXF as a set of sketch entities? Or you you just need to see the image in your part studio to decide where to cut holes?  If the latter, you could try using the JPG they provide as a sketch image.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-image.htm
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would suggest using sketch image and manually trace outlines with Onshape sketching tools. Much faster than struggling months with converters, half hour of intensive sketching can do pretty complicated outlines.
    //rami
  • Options
    Firstly I imported a PDF image and it is perfect, however there is no sketch menu to work on it from. What is "sketch image?"
  • Options
    Hi @mario_darceuil ,

"Sketch image" is just inserting an image into a sketch.  It can be used by clicking the button that looks like an arrow pointing towards some mountains (while in a sketch).  It may be hiding behind the "Insert DXF" button:

There are more detailed instructions about how to use this tool in the help document link i posted above.

Unfortunately, for the purposes of this tool, we do not consider PDF to be an 'image', but it should be much easier to convert PDF > png or jpg and upload that to your onshape document.