Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

part>sub assy1>sub assy2>main assy Not Updating Automatically

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
edited November 2017 in Using Onshape
Greetings

I have two levels of sub assemblies inside a main assembly. I have a fixed mate in sub assy2 that mates sub assy1 with part1. The fixed mate had an offset of value of -14 when sub assy2 was inserted into main assy. Later the value of the offset was changed to -16 when in the sub assy2 tab, but I can't get the new offset to update into main assy.

Thanks

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Hi - a fixed mate only affects the current subassembly. Please use fasten (or other mate type) and apply an offset in there. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
    Hi Neil, thanks for getting back.
    I miss spoke - the mate in the sub assy is a fasten with an offset, not fixed.The attached images show sub assy1 as the purple shaft with the blue pulley. sub assy2 is a full assembly with sub assy1 inserted. note the position of the pulley on the shaft in the two assemblies.
    Thanks
    Hans
    here's a pic of the edit box for the mate while in sub assy1
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Are they all in the same document? If not you'll need to revision the source doc for the target doc to see the updates.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    yes, everything is in the same document. the pulley sub assy was two .step files imported separately into part studios and then inserted into a common assy. 
    I now have another instance in the same project where changes (in this case adding a new part) made to a sub assy do not reflect in a higher assy into which it was inserted. I can remove the insert from the upper level and re-insert it to get an update but that's...not fun.
    thanks for any help.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If you post a link to the doc I'm sure someone will be able to help.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Please report the issue using feedback tool under help menu. Also please share document with support when you report the issue and we can take a look and help you out.