Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feature Ideas

ondrejholanondrejholan Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in Product Feedback
Hello,
I am in game industry and I started using Onshape for some types of modeling and I have ideas for features that would saved me some time.

- Sketchfab exporter for embedding to websites and sharing with people that don't have Onshape
- Support for OBJ, FBX formats
- Annotations which can be placed on model (something like Sketchfab annotations)
-Translation - Community translation like crowdin.com (I would like to help translate)
- Fast measuring tool in assembly and parts
- Ability to hide groups
- Drag&drop for inserting parts to assembly

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @ondrej_holan Please submit improvement ideas via the feedback tool in Onshape.  ? menu -> feedback for new features allows us to categorize and notify you when implemented.  I will soon have a way for you to post and vote on improvements.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Can you elaborate on "Fast measuring tool in assembly and parts"?  Right now, we show measurements in the bottom right corner of the screen based on things that are selected in part studios and assemblies.  Is there something more you want?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @JakeRamsley I'm afraid that measuring ±.01 is somewhat blacksmith work. I typically need to have a copy of the model open in mastercam to get a more accurate measurement. Or create a sketch to get ± .001 which usually may be close enough. I don't know what kind of work you all have in mind but I'm often working in tenths that's .0001 and not .1

Dave
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @JakeRamsley I'm afraid that measuring ±.01 is somewhat blacksmith work. I typically need to have a copy of the model open in mastercam to get a more accurate measurement. Or create a sketch to get ± .001 which usually may be close enough. I don't know what kind of work you all have in mind but I'm often working in tenths that's .0001 and not .1

Dave
    I agree that we need a more detailed view for measurements, but I was responding to the idea of "Fast measuring tool".   
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Dave
    I agree that we need a more detailed view for measurements, but I was responding to the idea of "Fast measuring tool".   
    SolidWorks is an excellent reference on how to be a measuring tool, and entities also provide information selected in the screen bottom as Onshape.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @3Dexter I feel the reference @ the bottom of the screen is quite fast but not if I need to create a sketch and activate the dimension to get an accurate measurement. Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Dave
  • Options
    stg434stg434 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I have logged a feature request along these lines.  I too do a lot of tooling related work so have "tenths" resolution is standard.  If there was a preference to select significant digits then we are a lot closer.

I use the SW measurement system but it feels a little clunky for many cases, I end up punching the "measurement type" buttons to get the measurement I need.  Probably the handiest "feature", as mentioned, in SW is the entity display in the lower right of the status bar but in contrast to OnShape the resolution is selectable.