Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Refresh" a Part Studio in Assembly to bring in newly-added parts?

adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Tried doing a search for the answer to this, but didn't have any luck.

Here's my situation:
  • 1 complex part studio, and multiple single-part part studios
  • I created an assembly with all of the above (dragged the top-level complex part studio in first, then added all the other part studios in around it using mates)
  • Since then, I've added some new items into the complex part studio, and these are not showing up in the assembly

I'm guessing this is because they were not present when I initially dragged the complex part studio into the assy.

Is there a way to make the assy "refresh" so that it goes back and gets the newly added elements in the complex part studio? Or some other way to bring them in without having to place them again (since I already did that once in the part studio - though at present without mates, they are just referenced off of other geometry but not actually touching it, if that makes sense). Otherwise I'll have to recreate the assembly all from scratch again, unless I can find a way to precisely align the updated import with the existing one.

On a related note, just tried for the first time editing a part in context of the assy - it's fantastic! Knowing what that is like, I wouldn't have created such a complex single part studio to begin with.... Oh well, next time.

Cheers, Adam

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    When inserting an entire part studio into an assembly, this action is simply a shortcut to add all the parts that currently exist in one step. It is not actually inserting the part studio as a reference. 

If iyou know which parts were added (usually the ones at the bottom most area of the parts list) you can insert them by clicking on them in their references origin center but this will only work if the original parts were also added here and not moved. Otherwise you will need to manually mate those parts. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Lou, though I'm not quite following (still new to OS and working with assemblies). Can you clarify a bit what you mean by "clicking on them in their references origin center"? Is this something happening in the part studio or the assy tab? When I put the main part studio in that all the other parts are mating up to, I just Fixed it in some arbitrary location - I haven't seen a way to use the Origin to position it in some way, or if that's even necessary.