Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Edit on Assembly

sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
Hi, is there a way to edit a part on the assembly context? Normally is better to do it in that way in order to have in mind the surrounding parts.

Regards
Sergio PLUCHINSKY
CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
+54 9 11 2250 0564

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Thanks!
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on part editing within an assembly tab.  Should I vote it up?
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    robert_arminrobert_armin Member Posts: 10
    +1 for editing in Assemblies.
    I think I have the same issue. E.g. I'm assembling a thing with parts from a partstudio. Now I want to drive holes through mulitple parts. How to do this?

As I understood theworkaround you recommend is doing it in part studios instead of asseblies. However, I can only find MateConnectors in PartStudio but not the Mates to actually connect the parts. How do mates work in PartStudios?

Thank you,
    Robert

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic precept of Onshape is that Part Studios are for modelling groups of parts which do not move relative to each other. These are positioned using constraints.

Assemblies, and the mates they provide, are for specifying motion, as well as integrating groups of parts from different part studios. (Use the "Group" mate to bring in groups of parts which do not move relative to each other)

This simple architecture may not be viable in all situations, but it's the guiding principle.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Update - with the release of 'derived', there are now many more workflows that are possible and this capability will continue to be enhanced.
    If you have no idea what I am talking about, the main benefit is the ability to reuse associatively a sketch or part from an external source (previously imported into the document) at any point in the feature history of a part studio. Now you can have a layout sketch (for example) driving multiple part studios or assemblies. Check it out.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Update - with the release of 'derived', there are now many more workflows that are possible and this capability will continue to be enhanced........Check it out.
    I just came here to ask about this feature...I just started playing with 'derived' this morning.  I like the RMB popup menu that allows me to quickly jump to the part study that the part came from, but are there any plans to allow editing the derived part in the studio that it's currently in?  For example, I have part studio 'A', and I just brought in a part from part studio 'B'...will we eventually be able to edit part 'B' in studio 'A'?

Also, can there be an option in the RMB popup menu of studio 'B' that allows us to click on the part studio that part 'B' is in (in this example, studio 'A').  With only a few part studios, it's not hard to keep track of, but I can see myself getting confused as more parts are added and 'derived' across a document. 
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Update - with the release of 'derived', there are now many more workflows that are possible and this capability will continue to be enhanced........Check it out.
    I just came here to ask about this feature...I just started playing with 'derived' this morning.  I like the RMB popup menu that allows me to quickly jump to the part study that the part came from, but are there any plans to allow editing the derived part in the studio that it's currently in?  For example, I have part studio 'A', and I just brought in a part from part studio 'B'...will we eventually be able to edit part 'B' in studio 'A'?

Also, can there be an option in the RMB popup menu of studio 'B' that allows us to click on the part studio that part 'B' is in (in this example, studio 'A').  With only a few part studios, it's not hard to keep track of, but I can see myself getting confused as more parts are added and 'derived' across a document. 
    Juan - with derived that is exactly the functionality you get. Editing the parent updates every child instance. WAHOO.
    Also, if you RMB over a derived part or sketch, one of the options is to 'Switch to xxx' where xxx is the parent part studio. WAHOO.
    Two for two (of course, if i have misunderstood your question, please let me know :)).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Juan - with derived that is exactly the functionality you get. Editing the parent updates every child instance. WAHOO.
    Also, if you RMB over a derived part or sketch, one of the options is to 'Switch to xxx' where xxx is the parent part studio. WAHOO.
    Two for two (of course, if i have misunderstood your question, please let me know :)).
    Ok, time to revise my reading comprehension (thank you @ilya_baran  :)) - lets try again.

"Can I edit 'B' in 'A'?" - you can perform additional parametric editing operations and can perform direct editing operations, but you cannot edit the prior parametric history of B from A. For that you will need to jump back to B.

Your second question/suggestion is still a bit confusing to me - although Ilya wonders if you are asking for a 'where used' type of capability. If that is the case, no - that is not currently supported. 

Again, if i have misinterpreted any aspect of your questions, please feel free to ask.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @juan_aviles
    Please be careful what you wish for, in case it is granted!

I personally dread the unintended consequences of being able to edit master sketches and parts remotely (from any of the slave documents, but with results for all of them), added to the complexity of the bi-directional referencing (making the application and the documents difficult for the user to manage and understand) ... and no doubt other unexpected outcomes I'm not familiar enough with Onshape's setup or prospects to intuit.

By "bi-directional" I mean adding the capability for slave parts to "Pull" changes, as well as having the master document able to "Push" them.

And please, Onshape, keep keeping it simple!