Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Starting a sketch from the face of a context of another part in an assembly

john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
edited November 2017 in Community Support
In this document, 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9ec3baa19294f3198f092b39/w/26baf85d5c38ccafe4ec1fc0/e/9e352b7a38551480396b76b2
Note: Look at revision "V5" in case I move on from here. 

On the Neck Assembly, I created Neck Parts as a "New Part Studio in Context". In that Part Studio, I am shooting sketches off of surfaces in the assembly. i.e. Neck Parts::Sketch5.  My question here is the volatility of that sketch. I moved the servo motor in the assembly but the sketch surface did not move with it. What it did do is make a shadow copy of the original. The same happened when I pulled the diameter from the other stepper shaft in Sketch1 using the "use" command.  I just want to verify the "use" and derive sketch from other context's are really copies of the original and are not tied to changes in that original part. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
    @NeilCooke, that's a very cool feature that it's versioned and can be updated, almost like a linked part.  Thank You.