Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

block in using massive circular patterns

ITAengineerITAengineer Member Posts: 3
Hello,
it's two days I'm stuck with this model: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ba3137bade8b92f1fb24de9/w/c6008833cf5b494e06e96efc/e/287b194d9f2282e548e7a021
As you can see, there are several versions and branches of this model.
If I try to open Main branch, or B1, it returns an error.

It is because I changed the value of repetitions in the last circular pattern. In V5 it is set to 32 on 360°, and I need to take it to 80. I tried different strategies (I admit I did not start from the most efficient), but no one works.

As I change the repetition number from 32 to 80, it will block.

I don't know what else to do. It seems like the resources for free account, as mine, it is limited, like a limit in RAM. How could I solve? Is it just a free account problem or OnShape problem? It is a common operation in a CAD and if I do with another CAD software it does it easily but needs RAM.
Could you try to do the modification without getting any error in a free account?

I hope to solve soon

Thanks

P.S. Also support members propose different strategies but they do not work!

Comments

• ITAengineerITAengineer Member Posts: 3
    I've tried to increase the number of repetitions step by step and after a value of 50, it return an error like this: Onshape encountered a problem with your last operation. If the problem persists, please contact support. Support code 123f9c486727a526d27400b9.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The problem is you're using a feature pattern, which is very expensive.  Use face patterns instead and it should work fine.  The I looked up the support code -- it is a regeneration timeout.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi - the issue you have is that you are creating two patterns using a feature pattern. That means Onshape / Parasolid has to rebuild 18 x 32 = 576 or 18 x 80 = 1440 which is a lot of features!

Use face pattern and part pattern, example here: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/925b281f5d944a679ff0a505/w/6c5f8233767ef518036775d1/e/1ee89fff951cde4b37fa113c

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ITAengineerITAengineer Member Posts: 3
    Ok, thanks for helping me, but actually I've not understood the difference in concept between pattern of features and of faces, that is, when can I use one and when the second
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You should use Feature Pattern as the last resort. Part Pattern and Face Pattern are patterning geometry only which is extremely fast, whereas Feature Pattern recreates each feature in the pattern from scratch which takes time. If the geometry of your pattern does not "interfere" with anything else in your model, then use Face Pattern. See regeneration times in the images above.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI