Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Help with Assembly Configurations

rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I have a model of a segmented heating duct. It has five revolute joints. If I set the limits on each joint to be zero then the assembly is straight. If I set the limits on each joint to be 180 degrees, then the assembly creates a 90 degree bend. My question is how can I vary these rotation angles when I assemble the assembly into another assembly where there will be multiple instances with potentially different values for each joint angle. I was thinking maybe I could create assembly variables that could control the limits on the joints but I couldn't figure out how to create assembly variables. I then read the help documents on configurations but that all seemed to related to parts and not assemblies. Plus I wasn't able to find the configuration icon on my screen so I couldn't even play with it.

Here is a link to my model:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e9f7e89cd05ce2eb4bac8d4e/w/c19b4049df4038fee42bba1f/e/daeee29ff76abd2f33525960

Here I have two instances of my sub-assembly. I'd like to be able to specify the angle for each joint and not have the value for joint_1 in the first assembly match the value for joint_1 in the second assembly. This would essentially give me two instances of the sub-assembly within the larger assembly.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers