Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing models (Step, IGS) best practices.

joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 25 PRO
I imported a Step file into a part studio and plan to use the geometry to create tooling. The tool will consist of multiple parts. 
As in most cases with imported models the Step file is imported it is not located in the desired location i.e. origin,top,right, front etc. This in return will cause issues if I want to create a drawing. I do not want to use the "named views" as a workaround a someone else suggested in the forum. 

What is a recommended best practice?
  1. In the parts studio: Add "mate connectors" and transform the imported (Step) model to the desired location and design the tooling?
  2. In Assembly: Import the (Step) file and locate the model in the desired location and design the tooling in context?
  3. In part studio: Use a derived part method, it uses more resources?
Any advise/insight would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited November 2017
    I agree with @owen_sparks for anytime it is OK to move the part relative to 'world'.   

However, much of the time we continue to need what was discussed in this thread (something like 'update standard views' in SW  - https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/23819#Comment_23819 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hmm, sounds like we want some check boxes:- "show in world/assembly view" or "show in local part view".

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 25 PRO
    Thanks guys! Option 1 it is.