Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Resizing Sketch Made of Points

juliana_hamada224juliana_hamada224 Member Posts: 5
I recently transformed a KML file into DXF, and it came out as linked points that form a shape. 

I extruded the shape from the sketch. Is there any way I can resize this shape?

Thanks a lot!

Best.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, yes indeed that's do-able.

As ever there are a couple of ways of going about it:-
    (a) Depending on how your initial sketch is set up you may just be able to add a dimension to it to scale the whole thing.
    (b) The part "transform" tool has a uniform scale feature.
    (c) There is a non-uniform custom feature available.

If it's still causing problems, then please post a link to your doc and I'm sure someone will help.

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for your tips, owen_sparks! I could resize it as a separate part, but I'm having trouble with the other things in the sketch.

Here's a link to it:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0bda087f0d92a052f66ea054/w/4b0212bfe99951ababf69dee/e/ebb563deac8883f27c51e8b3

The idea is to make a beer cap holder with the Skaha Lake shape in the middle. I'd like to resize the lake's size to x2.6 bigger. The lake shape, name of the lake, and space for the beer caps are going to be cut out; the final board will remain as the extrusion shows.

Any help would be great! Or suggestions on how to do it. 

Thanks a lot!

Cheers.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @juliana_hamada224

Here's how I would approach it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/48f07de70d965faa66eac860/w/c2b94f677103016b1e0c78cd/e/2933970adbf14d90e727e41a

1. I took the sketch as it was (and added a point near the center for step 3)
    2. I extruded the sketch away from the board as a "new" part
    3. I used the transform tool to scale the part up by 2.6x
    4. I used the transform tool to center the lake (I just did it by eye with the manipulators)
    5. I used the transform tool to push the lake solid into the board by 2mm
    6. I used the boolean tool (with 'subtract' option) to subtract the shape of the lake from the board.
    Hop this helps! Let us know if you have any questions or trouble.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Hi @Jake_Rosenfeld!

Thanks a lot! I was having trouble figuring it out, now I know! 
    Looks great by the way. 

Cheers!