Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Editing Parts in Context from Assembly and alignment.

john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
edited December 2017 in Community Support
I may be stating my problem statement incorrectly so I will be a little verbose here.  This discussion will reference V9 of this document, https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9ec3baa19294f3198f092b39/w/26baf85d5c38ccafe4ec1fc0/e/9e352b7a38551480396b76b2

In the Assembly, "Neck Assembly", I decided to change how the StepMotor<3> is mounted to the "Upper Neck Joint", from a side mount to a upper middle mount.  I moved the stepper motor in place, roughly, then edited the "Upper Neck Joint" as an in context edit. I wanted to grab the curvature of the motor and mount points, so I create a new sketch off the face of the motor, "use"d the existing lines and extruded'ed it. The new extrusion is now off center from the existing part because the placement of the StepMotor was not centered to the "Upper Neck Joint" to begin with,

My questions are 

1) Am I correct in that the assembly functionality does not provide the ability to align a part to a plane / surface / mate in the assembly ?

2) I would like to grab the center point of the derived sketch and move the context in place. i.e. when editing the part "Upper Neck Joint", in context to the assembly, I would like to take the center point of "Sketch 5" and make it coincident to the Front Plane and have that operation adjust the placement of the original context, maybe even have it update the position of the part in the assembly. 

I think I can remove the "context" constraint from sketch and center the sketch to the front plane, but that won't move the context of the motor in the sketch so everything will look offset.  I am trying to do this in V11, but I am having a hard time constraining the sketch.

Is there an easier way to do this ?

Thank you
-John Gentilin

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    john_gentilinjohn_gentilin Member Posts: 15
    Wow, I did not know I had all those contexts. I think they are created when I am doing an Edit In Context, of a new part, but only defined the sketch and the session times out. I will try the context update. Thank you for the feedback. -John