Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

put an assembly into the part studio?

i need to engrave the segments now that i have assembled them, how can i do this?
if i import an assembly it is a mesh, i cannot do anything with it

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Have a look at In Context Editing (ICE)
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried doing an in-context? This will keep the para-metic links but, the links may not be required but could be a quick workflow. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/in-context.htm

Another option would be to export as a para-solid then re-import to a part studio. It sounds like you were exporting and importing as a stl.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    i need to engrave the segments now that i have assembled them, how can i do this?
    if i import an assembly it is a mesh, i cannot do anything with it

When working with mesh data, the imported geometry can only be referenced, not modified. Can you provide a link to your document? Please be sure to share the document as public. Thank you in advance!