Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Better way to cut out a shape along two dimensions?

creyccreyc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Sorry the title's not great, it's easier to describe what I'm trying to do in pictures:

I'm struggling to create this sort of indentation cutout along the edge of a case, which means it has both a top and a front profile. I did this in a very hacky way with two parallel chamfers just to illustrate the final result, but is there a better way to do this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57657c18e4b0887c5137f2c4/w/7f77bdc59988a60068a84fa5/e/e99302cf4a7d11cd0d67ec4d

Ultimately I'd like to have more control over the profile shape than what I can do with just a simple chamfer.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of ways to control geometry in CAD. In this case, you could use a Loft, Sweep, or Extrude with draft. Which one is the best option just depends on what your end goal is.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I attempted to do this with a loft early on, as ideally I'd like to use a slightly different shape from top to bottom.  However I couldn't think of a way to achieve what I wanted using a loft, as the loft documentation seems to say I can't loft nested countours (like rings).

Do I need to create two lofts, ADDing a larger one with my part and then REMOVING a slightly smaller loft?  Or is there a way to do this in one step?

Thanks!
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    creyc said ...as the loft documentation seems to say I can't loft nested countours (like rings).

Thanks!
    But it will allow separate sketches placed on top of each other.

My first instinct would be to loft a drafted solid and then shell it.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another suggestion - don't box yourself into creating all your geometry in one shot. This tends to create complicated sketches that are difficult to modify down the road. Case in point, while lofting doesn't allow nested sketches, there's nothing forcing you to create all your geometry with one loft. Often, a combination of features will yield the most flexible and robust design. It's all about the design intent.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    I still think extrude with draft (or more likely, extrude then draft) is the best option.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone, the screenshot helped quite a bit, anthony_serna.

I was able to do this quite well with a loft add to create the outer wall, followed by a loft remove to cut out the inside.