Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extruding symmetrical elements results in asymmetry?

curtis_vancuracurtis_vancura OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
edited January 2018 in Community Support
I have a gouge blade (90 degree with 15 degree rake angle) that I am trying to model, and asymmetry is popping up.
The two cut sides should be the same... but one is 90 degrees, and the other has the proper angle.
I have spent hours trying to understand why, and would like some help.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5eb8957c9916dd8a2cc31ea6/w/fecf0985abc589292f81dbf9/e/32c73b253da8ed7d3f84b844

...also, a link to how to post in this forum (images, links, etc.) would be helpful...

Thanks, Curtis
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Might this be a bug?
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    When you look normal to sketch 6 (before the extrusion) you can see that one of the edges of your profile lines up correctly with the edge of the part and the other does not.  When cut away, this will cause it to skew.

You'll want to remove the vertical/horizontal constraints of the sketch, then make the lines coincident with the edges so that they are what the projected edges would be.  From here it should cut at the 15 degree angle.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    On posting links & images.  Maybe @lougallo could chime in if there is help on forum use - I do not find.  However, here are a couple tips.

To attach image:  Choose the image icon (next to attach file) and paste in a copied image (it does not have to be URL).

You can add links to text like this Extruding symmetrical elements results in asymmetry?   By selecting the text, then the link icon, and paste in the URL.  Here is picture of steps -

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have updated the shared part to show the issue more clearly. None of the sketch 6 edges are coincident to any edge of the part, as can be seen.

...although there is symmetry in the sketch and its plane in relation to the part, but there is a dotted line (sketches 4 and 5) that shows asymmetry. I have tried to make two separate parts, but was unable to get the profile as desired.
    Why does the extruded part become asymmetrical? The edge should cut a 15 degree angle on both side walls (following the dotted line), or at least that is what I want, and that is what this part becomes in real life, as cut.

Where is the mistake?
    Thanks for looking at this, I really need some help, it is beyond me at this point...
    -Curtis
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The mistake is in the direction of one line in Sketch6. It is set to be horizontal, but it needs to be oriented symmetrically with the other leg of the "L". Take a look at my link for the fix. Also, it would probably be easier to accomplish this same geometry with two cuts, one on each leg. Or even a chamfer feature.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1f870af61556d44bac1bb194/w/7f8fb2db151dfb128c69a9f8/e/9a243b77fafa1077caaebdf4

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks mahir, this is the fix!