Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D Connexion mouse not working

adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 20
I've got a new machine, and so far have not been able to get the 3D Connexion Spacemouse wireless to work in Firefox other than zoom in Onshape. In Chrome, it initially worked with full control, but now is only doing zoom also. I've verified with the viewer that 3D Connexion supplies that it's working properly in that. And I've got all the checkboxes checked for the types of motion for it to control, and the settings dialog is recognizing that Onshape is open (it's not seeing a generic Chrome instance for example). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no change. Am using the latest Windows 10 64-bit driver, 10.5.4.

Any ideas?

Comments

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    Me too!!
  • lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, Configurations EVP, Standard content EVP, Graebert Ares Kudo EVP Posts: 1,281
    Anyone else?  What version of Firefox?  In Chrome where it did work have you tried holding down SHIFT and reloading the page?  Have you updated the driver for 3DConnexiin?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 21 ✭✭
    When I had a problem with my Space Explorer USB then 3dconnexion support asked me to perform the following:

- Check if the 3DXNlserver is running in the task manager

- Can this page be openened: https://127.51.68.120:8181/version

- Which server version is being displayed?

- If the page does not open you should disable the Firewall.

- Check again if Onshape works with FW disabled.

It seems 3dconnexion driver connects to their web server to control Onshape. Whenever I'm in the network with limited access (e.g. at customer with strict firewall rules) then the control in Onshape is limited to move and zoom.

/Krz

@krz @lougallo

I investigated @krz's advice and report the following:

- Check if the 3DXNlserver is running in the task manager. (Yes, can be found under "more details" within Task Manager)

- Can this page be openened: https://127.51.68.120:8181/version  (No, but if I restart the computer with the IP address still active in a browser tab, the version 1.2.3.14519 appears)

- Which server version is being displayed? (3DXNIserver Version 1.2.17291.14519)

- If the page does not open you should disable the Firewall. (Tried this, but still no go, even after reboot)

- Check again if Onshape works with FW disabled. (Tried this, but still no go, even after reboot)

Fusion 360 works fine with the USB 3DConnection mouse at all times.  Solidworks 2015 SP5 behaves just the same as Onshape, that is, useless.

I have a second computer with a wireless 3DConnexion Mouse that works fine with all 3 programs, Onshape, Fusion 360, and Solidworks 2015.

I have reported the issue with 3DConnexion in Europe (seems Australia does not exist in the eyes of 3DConnexion, and Europe is the default support location for Australia), but to date they have not responded.

I have always kept 3DConnexion software up to date, maybe that is the problem.

The frustrating thing is that it worked fine for years, .

For my Space Explorer USB they recommended me to downgrade to 3DxWare Version 10.4.3 but I haven't done that as SE works for me with latest drivers and full Internet access.

• adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 20
    Per Krz's questions:
    - Yes, 3DxNIServer is running in taksmanager. It shows it as 32 bit, even though I downloaded the 64 bit version of the software.
    - Yes, can access that url, the server version shown is Server version: 1.2.3.14519

I'm on Firefox 57. My Chrome is Version 63.0.3239.132

I tried again with Chrome and it was doing the same thing, zoom only. I went into the settings to get the version number (in a new tab), and then came back to the Onshape tab and now the 3D mouse is working properly. And now I go back to Firefox and it's working there too after not working 2 mins ago. Very weird... So I'm not sure what's enabling/disabling it.
    Following up on my last post from a minute ago.... I shut down Chrome and then the mouse stopped working again in Firefox. Start Chrome up (just an empty tab) and then the mouse works again in Firefox. Shut Chrome down and it stops working in Firefox again. No idea why one would be dependent on the other, but that's what I'm getting.
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 68
    Hi @adam_richardson , You may want to contact 3DConnexion support for suggestions as well. 
    My Space Explorer stopped working in Onshape in Firefox yesterday after huuuge Windows 10 update. The update has reset everything in Windows.
    And as @adam_richardson wrote: SE works in Chrome but not in Firefox alone. If I start Onshape in Chrome then SE works in Onshape in Firefox too. What's going on here? It seems like Firefox blocks some communication to ... where? onshape or 3dconnexion server?
    G
    M
    T
    Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters
    Hi @adam_richardson , You may want to contact 3DConnexion support for suggestions as well. 
    Done. Will report back if I hear anything
    I am also in conversation with 3DConnexion Support.  Latest is a set of instructions to alter the registry settings.  I am seeking help from a friend who is is much more experienced in IT than I.  I will report back if the registry changes are successful.
    Done. Will report back if I hear anything
    They had me run a log file while doing the steps to recreate the problem, which I've now sent them. They've escalated it to more senior techs, so we'll see what they come back with.