Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FeatureScript Material Selection

richard_marcusrichard_marcus Member Posts: 17 EDU
Thank you so much for adding setProperty to FeatureScript! 

Is there anyway to set the PropertyType.MATERIAL from the Onshape material library? Or do I always need to define the name and density myself using the material() function?

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    You are welcome!
    Unfortunately, FS does not currently have access to the material libraries -- the name and density have to be defined in the code.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @ilya_baran Acess to the material library would open up opportunities to spec material earlier in the design process or have standard company wide lists of material sizes to chose from with custom features. It would be cool if you combine the material type and/or thickness/size into a custom extrude or weldment or sheet metal feature so this detail is added up front with no backtracking to do properties. Most of the time when I am designing I set plate thickness via available materials it would save heaps of time if I could choose the material that drives the thickness or auto fill my stock material property base on the extrude size.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    @brucebartlett
    Thanks for explaining the need.  It'll take some work to get FS to see the material libraries properly, so while we intend to get to this, I would not expect it soon.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc