Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to find quickly part's father features and sketches.

alessandro_cavolialessandro_cavoli Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
The problem (not urgent): in part studio when the project is made by a lot of parts it could become difficult to find which are the features and sketches that define one or more parts.
The solution:
1- when a part is selected in the part's list all the feature (sketches included) that contribute to make it will highlight into the feature list with the same color of the part as in the graphic area. Then if you choose 2 or more parts the highlighted features and sketches will be showed in differents colors. The highligted features and sketches are the part's father.
2- when a part or more parts are selected in the part's list by using the right click's mouse you have the option to "Show only selected part's features and sketches in feature's list" and in the feature list will be shown just the selected parts related features and sketches, as if you are working just on one or little more parts. Note that the hided features and sketches are not suppressed or deactiveted, but just hided, is a simulation of a single part ambient. To ripristinate the view of all the feature list you can have the right click option "Show all the features and sketches in feature's list".
3- in the future you can also have the option to show the part's features and sketches children in a similar way.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @alessandro_cavoli Today this can be done by typing 
    :part <part name>
    In the Feature filter at the top of the tree.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    alessandro_cavolialessandro_cavoli Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Tested and is not what I mean, it's a partial and confuse way.
    First it doesn't show part's related sketches.
    And in my part studio i have differents parts with the same name, then it shows the features of all these parts.
    And if I write (example) <lama inferiore> as part name I have also a different part that is called <portalama inferiore>, then it shows the features of all these parts.
  • Options
    Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    An other idea would be to have the possibility to display the list of features like a tree, showing the father-children relations.
  • Options
    leon_pootleon_poot Member, Developers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    A tree-like feature map would be pretty sweet, possibly as a side panel right where the sheet metal tab shows up. Till then, the search function works for me.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    IsoworksIsoworks Member Posts: 22 PRO
    lougallo said:
    @alessandro_cavoli Today this can be done by typing 
    :part <part name>
    In the Feature filter at the top of the tree.
    Good to know and helpful. BUT why does this leave the sketches out? Including the sketches would be very helpful.