Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing a DXF into sketch "Selected file contains too many entities to import."

jose_veirasjose_veiras Member Posts: 2
Hi:

I Have a huge 36MB plan that was converted from PDF to DXF using Print2CAD, the file seems ok as in can be imported into Onshape using Import file instead of creating a new document, after importing the file I can view it using ARES Kudos.

But If I try to create a new document, create a sketch, select plane, insert dfx, the file is also imported but when I click it to be added to the sketch it shows a message "Selected file contains too many entities to import."

When I import the file directly, I can actually select any part of it but I'm unable to copy the part to a sketch.

I'm using the free version of Onshape

Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks
Jose

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    36MB? It must be huge. Are you trying to convert the whole thing to 3D?

A sketch can only contain a certain number of entities (I don't know how many). So if you only want to extrude the walls of this floorplan (I am assuming it is a floorplan), you could do this:

1. Create an Onshape Drawing of the DXF
    2. Delete unnecessary details (like chairs and desks)
    3. Export the Drawing as DXF
    4. Reimport
    5. Import into sketch
    6. Repeat process for other areas of the DXF you want to import
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    For the curious, the entity limit for bringing a DXF into a sketch is 8000 entities.  A sketch with 8000 entities, though, will put lots of unnecessary strain on the system and cause performance problems.  It's best here to follow Neil's advice and keep the import to as few representative entities as possible.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team