Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flip Sheet Metal Extrude Thickness separately on parts

mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
I just found I can use a single Sheet Metal Model feature to create multiple sheet metal parts at once Nice.
I wanted to use the Sheet Metal Model Extrude to convert multiple sets of lines to multiple bend sheet metal parts.
But I could only flip the Thickness direction of all the lines at once using the dialog. I needed to flip only a certain set of lines in the sketch.
So I ended up making a separate Sheet Metal Model feature for this set of lines.

Maybe it is possible to toggle the thickness direction visually on each new sheet metal part separately by clicking a thickness direction arrow in the modelling area?
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @mike_hölscher today we approach this similar to extrude.. where you can pick multiple things but you cannot flip the direction per region.  If there are instances where this is required, using a separate Sheet metal feature is recommended.   We would like to avoid overloading the complexity of these types of settings.  IT is understandable for certain things like needing to flip a chamfer when you have two different directions or when you do a thicken to one side and some faces are flipped.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    Thanks @lougallo ! I understand. Good to know. Must be hard sometimes to balance UI complexity and usability. I also immediately though of the similarity with the chamfer direction.