Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SHOW CENTER OF FACETED ARC

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1e8b9d6ac445784c9c65e99f/w/97f4f51792b4bb8927166ee4/e/f856d6396ba382bbf83a8204

Can anyone tell me how to generate a centerpoint of a faceted arc?  In my drawing, the curved, faceted plate is 1/4 of a faceted, round top.  Because it is faceted, I cannot generate a center point, so I cant show the location of the (2) 3.5" holes. 

1) No way to show the 22.5º angle from center CL, and 
2) No way to show the 30"Ø path (center of 3.5"Ø circles).

I end up writing notes with my dimensions, but it would be a whole heck of lot easier if I could generate a centerpoint and pull dims from it.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As far as I know, OS won't let you sketch in a drawing other than just straight lines, and you also can't import sketches. So there's no way to fake the center by fitting an arc through three points. However, if the +/-45deg ends are radial (coincident with the center), then you can just insert a virtual sharp that will create a reference point where the two end lines would intersect. 
  • Options
    michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
    Hi Mahir,  That works great.  Virtual sharps gave me that center.  I was able to pull the dimension from center of arc to center of circles, and then pulled the angles from those radii to CL.  Thank you!!