Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is this type of gear or hinge called?

shadowshadow Member Posts: 2
I am wanting to design something similar to this hinge but I'm having trouble finding out what exactly this is so I can research it.

I would describe it as a geared or toothed hinge but nothing relevant comes up when I search for those terms.  I've also tried side-toothed gear but that's a completely different thing.  It's basically a rotary hinge with teeth on the side.  My use case would be for a pivotable LCD panel mount for small LCDs to use with raspberry pi and similar SBCs to allow for angle adjustment although I would make it with a shallower, wavier tooth profile than this to make it adjustable without necessarily needing to loosen/tighten a bolt.  This seems like the best design for friction keeping the hinge in position and I thought it would be a nice design exercise.

Best Answer

Answers