Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem moving a finished part

james_whittingtonjames_whittington Member Posts: 12
I have been working with OnShape for about a month or so.  I have found numerous youtube videos that have really helped. But I have ran into problem that I haven't been able to fix.
This is my thought process and there is probably an easier way.
I want to build a really large remote control boat from some open source plans, but they need tweaking for the cnc that I have ordered that will be in this month.
I have the DXF files for the boats.....I have been able to load the DXF into OnShape, but I when it come to editing the files and placing a fillet in some of the corners to account for the router bit, I have hit a brick wall.
So I loaded the DXF in one sketch, then started another sketch and traced the on top of the first sketch, then I deleted sketch 1...then i select my part and move it out of the way.
Here are the 3 parts that I have made so far.  I actually made part BOAT72 3 first....so in my mind I am going to line he parts up in order.  So I am attempting to move Part 3 to be in line with parts 1 and 2.  I click on the sketch and highlight my part.

I want click on and drag the part upwards to put it in line with parts 1 and 2, this is where the problems start.....but with said, I have moved it from the origin to here with out any problems.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
Should I build all parts in one file? and move them around to create a temporary layout? (I haven't got the nesting video or tutorials yet)

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2018
    OK, there's quite a bit going on within this topic so I'll speak in general terms and I'm sure other folks will jump in too.

(1) It's a lot easier to move parts around than sketches.  So build the part how you want it and if you need it moving then move it afterwards.

(2) If you've not got into it moving parts is under the "transform" function.  I highly recommend getting to grips with the "transform by mate connector" method.

(3) Just to check when you say you're "tracing" the dxf are you using the "use" function to project it onto a new sketch or doing it by hand?

(4) No need to delete the original sketch.

(5) You could extrude directly from the dxf and then add fillets to the solid part instead of having to build new sketches.

(6) First step have a look at the basic sketch fundamentals course and get a grip on "sketch constraints", these are vital to robust models and once it mastered make life soooo much easier.

(7) Parts that have geometry dependent on other parts can be modeled together and build off each other, see multipart modeling webinar video from Cody Armstrong, if you've not seen such things this will blow your mind!

Hope some of that helps and shout with any specific questions you have.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Once you got grip on fundamentals, check this for organizing your work: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/article/product-structure-organization-tips
    //rami
  • Options
    james_whittingtonjames_whittington Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for the information.