Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Workflow/Feature for extruding wrapped curves, with new, add/remove to/from a part options?

David_BoneDavid_Bone Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Community Support
I am trying to find a more efficient workflow for adding/removing wrapped curves from a part.  This is for creating cam slots, holes, protrusions, logos and other features in parts.  I just finished a part that required 46 features to complete only the wrapped features. :(
Currently I do the following...
  1. Wrap the sketch geometry to the surface using the Sketch Wrapper FS.
  2. Fill the resulting curves with a surface.
  3. Thicken the resulting surfaces with the Remove option.
This is not too bad when there are only a couple of features and none of them are concentric, but is very cumbersome with multiple curves and/or concentric geometry.
  • Many curves requires running the Fill feature on each curve separately or you get a "Cannot create fill surface between multiple loops" error.
  • Concentric curves requires creating individual thickened curves as tools, boolean subtracting the inner parts from the outer, then subtracting the resulting outer from the target part.
Just hoping to find a more efficient workflow for wrapping and extruding an entire sketch, preferably in a single feature. :)  This is something that was simple in SW.

Answers