Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Split - Keep tools strange behaviour

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
Hi,

I have a 'whole' partthat I want to split into 2 new separate parts.

I don't get the keep tools option of split tools right.

In the doc it says "keep the entity that the split was made with". so does that means there will be three entities: Original, split 1 and split 2? at least that would be my interpretation. or would one of the splitted parts be dropped?-that doesn't seem to be a split but rather a cut off to me...

I didn't want to keep the original tool, so I took it off.
The strange beviour I saw: Only 1 element of the split appeared in Parts. Then I clicked with the mouse on the element I was expecting to be in the part list - it wasn't but I could still see it, so I clicked, and magic: the 2 other parts appeared in the part list... Maybe that's a little issue?

( Some examples showing the effect for part and face in the documentation would be a great help).

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Is the entity for split a surface?  We recently added the ability to pick faces of existing parts but using part faces and trying to not keep tools will display a message that “Faces selected as split tools must be kept.”  If you believe this is some bug please submit a ticket with an example of this behavior. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.