Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I am stuck in "Exersize: Creating multiple parts in a part studio"

ChobokoChoboko Member Posts: 8
I am doing something wrong. For some reason the newly extruded grip of the large arm will not become a part but add itself to the Larm Arm, but the small grip will.

Question: I like to know what I did wrong in the proces and came apparant at slide 13 of 24?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Choboko

It will be easier to diagnose if you post the URL of your document here so others can look at it directly.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Choboko

It will be easier to diagnose if you post the URL of your document here so others can look at it directly.
    Thank you for your reply and helpoffer. I would post a link to that document but I somehow deleted the document, so problem solved itself apparantly. :smiley:  I will try the same exersize again tommorow and if I fail multiple times again, then I will post in this topic. In the meantime however I did design a nice dummy casefan 120mm (<-- link from the addresbar & I added permission to copy/share etcetc).

It is the first real document I made myself in onshape. I has a small error in the helix somewhere and for some reason & I can not boolean the axle and the blades yet (hopefully I can end up with 2 parts, frame and an impeller in 1 document), but I will figure it out tommorow hopefully. I am pleased with my progres so far, the document looks descent for a first design. My goal is to make dummy-computerparts that i can use to design pc-cases with/around, top-down in onshape. So I am making lightweight documentlibrary of pc-part designs like powersupplies, fans, motherboards, graphiccards etcetc, that was my initial idea. This way I can simulate a real factory-engineering-environment (although very simplistic) and I challenge myself to use commands in the partstudio that I normally would not use. What I remember from solid works and solid edge from 10 years ago, was that structure is important in parts, assemblies and how you manage and structure data. So with this dummylibrary approach, I try force myself to think about data-structur, structure in parts and for example labels in such a way that my dummy parts can be used in every new case that I will design in Onshape in the future.

Thanks again for replying to my thread! <3

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Choboko said:
    I can not boolean the axle and the blades yet 
    I can't see your document, but if you're having issues with boolean then I suspect the two parts aren't really touching surface to surface. If there are any line contacts (knife edges) or point contacts then OS won't be able to join the bodies. The easiest way to fix that is to overbuild the blade. Design the sweep/loft so that you end up with a blade that protrudes into and interferes with the axis. Once you've booleaned them together it won't matter.
  • Options
    Thank you for your tips and suggestions, Mahir and Jake. I think I have the correct link below, set permissions in another window to shared with all users (i have also edited the link in the post above). Hopefully the document is shared now and I learned something, again!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3cdba40e2c55421151504635/w/381464e2dfad808e9f7dab40/e/d61c2ca9495cd59b718e3215

Thanks again!

• Options
    edited March 2018
    mahir said:
    All fixed up. I adjusted the sweep profile to go inside the hub a little. I also changed the sweep and thicken from Add to New and spiffed up the filleting scheme a bit.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3a246dfdbeead17d4e680cad/w/9261d6e1e5846915e62e7c0d/e/724ebd020bf6a81065265454

Dumbledore is that you? B) I have alot to learn but atleast know it is possible.

Thanks to all you for the advice about restoring the document.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Link to my assembly

The selection assignment v.s. my selection.

As you can see, I can not for some reason select the same surfaces as step13 describes. It is likely that this has something to do with my problem that the large arm clamp does not get assigned it's own part but remains in the large arm part. So I probably made a sketch or a selection mistake in an earlier step, to deserve this punishment. :D

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Hi @Choboko

Try this:
    1. Delete "Extrude 5" and "Extrude 6" (clean slate)
    2. Hide "Master sketch"
    3. Try creating "Extrude 5" again as shown in the instructions
    It looks like the master sketch is just getting in the way of the other sketches here, so you can't select the desired sketch regions.

Edit: To hide "Master sketch" hover over it in the feature list and click on the eye icon that appears next to it.

Thank you for your help, it worked! I have two separate parts now. I had/took two/three weeks off and now I am picking up the pace again.
  • Options
    mahir said:
    All fixed up. I adjusted the sweep profile to go inside the hub a little. I also changed the sweep and thicken from Add to New and spiffed up the filleting scheme a bit.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3a246dfdbeead17d4e680cad/w/9261d6e1e5846915e62e7c0d/e/724ebd020bf6a81065265454

Mahir,

I have been trying to figure out why your fillets on the fan are great (and mine are not), but haven't been succesfull at figuring it out why mine suck. I saw you altered my "sketch 8" regarding the fanblade-sweep in your model, i tried to do the same but am i still getting a wrong fillet. What am I not understanding well enough to create to same sleek fillets you do?

If you see time answering my question, thanks.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Choboko
    It's a bit complicated to explain every step. I suggest using the rollback bar to look at my feature tree starting with Sketch 8, the sweep profile. Notice I extended the profile line so that it goes past the center cylinder. That way when you create the blade with a thickened sweep the two bodies overlap each other and can be merged more easily. It also makes for better filleting. Also pay attention to when I selected New vs Add as well as the order of fillets and other features.