Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Simple shape (in concept) - Y adapter

alex_wiebealex_wiebe Member Posts: 4
I'm starting to really like OnShape - have designed a number of boxes, basic pieces. Now I'm stumped again on a fairly simple idea to conceptualize: Y shaped hose adapter.

I made a hose adapter using the loft tool to change from one shape (square) to another (round) - but in this case I'm not changing shape, but rather diverging or splitting a extrusion.

I'm thinking I start by sketching the base tube, then create a couple offset planes on angles up top and sketch the same tube profile.

But now how to extrude up a distance, and then split into 2 extrusions that meet the lofted planes?

Or am I completely thinking wrong.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Ok - I get what you're explain in principle, but I'm missing something. If I try to loft a solid from the end of the cylinder to the circle on the sketch that is offset, it forms a bad-brown hour glass type shape, which disappears if I set both ends to "Normal to Profile". If I select Surface, it will loft, but then I can't mirror and the shape is partially hollowed out.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2be09e87958bc03983b7512b/w/8d417b0b7b149c74c83b9308/e/0b4cd91cbbdc0305cc532406
  • Options
    I banged something into existence - thanks!
    I don't actually want the loft to curve, so I've left the ends to default.
    But I do want the top ends to be perpendicular to the tubes and not parallel to the bottom. So on to the next learning curve!