Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolute Mate

brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
Could anyone give a little advice please, I am designing a spiral staircase round a centre post. I have positioned my first tread which I have fixed and
the next tread is attached using a revolute mate in order to position it in the correct position above. I would now like to remove all degrees of freedom. At the the moment I have used fixed for this purpose. Can anyone say if there is a different way to do this as somehow this doesn't seem correct although it works. Regards Brian.

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    You will want to use the fasten mate to remove all degrees of freedom. After you complete the fasten mate go in and edit one of the mate connectors, select the 'Move' box and put in a value for 'Rotate about Z'. As you add each step of the staircase (depending on how you do the fasten mates) you can get that spiral effect for each step.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of manual mate adjustment. Hopefully, one of these days, OS will have advanced assembly pattern options like curve pattern, fill pattern, table pattern, derived pattern, etc.
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    This seems like a case where you'd want to define a rotated mate connector in the part studio, so that each fasten mate can just pick a top and bottom mate connector which are already rotated with respect to one another. Less manual mate adjustment (and if you want the parts to be fixed to each other, a revolute mate isn't needed and will probably just clutter the view).
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited March 2018
    I think I can help you here :)

and @lemon1324 got it 100% right. 

Define 2 mate connectors for each step. One is at the origin, the other will be projected straight up and rotated appropriately.
    now it's just a quick fastened mate for each step.

I usually do a few steps (about 90 degrees worth), then copy and paste that group, then mate that larger group.. etc.. should only take a few seconds to mate up a large spiral with this method.

You really want to stay away from hand editing every mate in an assembly. Take advantage of part studio mate connector for these repetitive tasks.

And hope and pray they release more pattern options in assemblies :)

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You will want to use the fasten mate to remove all degrees of freedom. After you complete the fasten mate go in and edit one of the mate connectors, select the 'Move' box and put in a value for 'Rotate about Z'. As you add each step of the staircase (depending on how you do the fasten mates) you can get that spiral effect for each step.

@bradley_sauln
    This would be very useful.
    I did not know about this before.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Many thanks for your  all your help, had a feeling I was not doing this the correct way.  About to start again loaded with your advice.
    Best wishes & have a good day to all. Brian.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @john_mcclary, so you've done this once or twice before then?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @john_mcclary, so you've done this once or twice before then?
    Perhaps...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @john_mcclary

Sounds like it's time for a featurescript. 

Inputs of number of steps, degrees of rotation per step, and height of step.

Not to make the steps (duplicate part instances) but at least to make the mate connectors?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I find just a list of global variables works just fine.

but too bad we cant just FS in assemblies, so that is still manual

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Sweet, you're way ahead of me, nice job sir  :)
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are talking about MC placement Parameter Pattern would do it
  • Options
    if you are talking about MC placement Parameter Pattern would do it
    is that an existing FS someone made?
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭