Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to control line-widths for laser cutting

stephen_danielstephen_daniel Member Posts: 4
I am trying to laser cut parts.
I have created a drawing with the part profiles laid out on a sheet that is the size of my stock.  Now I need to export this in a format that I can send to the Epilog cutter.

The Epilog works by using it as a printer.  Any line finer than the 600 DPI resolution of the "printer" is cut, anything else is etched.  Ideally I'd export my drawing as a PDF file and print it.  My problem is the lines will be etched, not cut, unless I can get the line width down to 0.1 pt.  Lines in an OnShape drawing do not appear to have a line width property, nor is there a global setting in the PDF export dialog to control line widths.  Any suggestions on how to export a drawing to PDF with very thin lines?

I've successfully exported the drawing as a DXF file, imported it into InkScape, then selected all the geometry and set the line width, but this is cumbersome, time consuming, and error prone.  I'm looking for a process that doesn't depend on me using another GUI correctly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    We do not have control of line width. You may want to add an Improvement request.

Until then, You will need to do as you are with inkscape ore some other 2D cad like AutoCad or draftsight