Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotate Extrude?

Bryan_YeungBryan_Yeung Member Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Community Support
I'm trying to duplicate the result of a rotate extrude operation from openscad/openjscad in OnShape without much luck.  In particular, the property that each cross-section of the extrusion has the same area (i.e. is just a rotated cross-section of the original sketch).

So far, I've been trying to use the Loft tool with a guide, but any of the unguided edges up through the vertices take a shorter path which deforms the cross-sections in a way I'd like to avoid.

(Actually, I'm trying to scale simultaneously with the rotation during the extrusion, but that seems to be the easy part so far with Loft.)

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    edited March 2018
    Forgive me if I misunderstand, but are you trying to do a revolve?

• Options
    Nope, not a revolve.  I'm trying to do an Extrude where the extruded sketch is simultaneously rotated (about a point within the sketch) and scaled during the extrusion.
  • Options
    Do you have a link or an image of the desired shape? even if it's imperfect
  • Options
    Does this help?  (That's openjscad.org if you want to replicate the rendering in a way you can move around.)

• Options
    You can do that by creatinf a helix, then doing a sweep.

As for the scale issue. Try looking into "non uniform scale" in featurescript.

I'd help more tonight but as yousee my computer is off and i'm on my cellphone going to bed. Sorry

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if needed a smooth shape - Variable section sweep gives the highest control on all degrees of freedom of your sketch (speaking poetically)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cd5c97012fe2330882e8ac38/w/87481dbbb7107f1e8c06452c/e/481996a23b965d6670d262cc

• Options
    Here try this if you want to see what I came up with in my dreams last night.. (Literally all I remember when I woke up
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/46ac818ef0ae6686c27ac407

Took a few attempts because onshape would throw self intersecting errors, but this is what I ended up with:
    It has some clutter, but my attempts of lofting around a taper-helix would fail. What ended up working was matching verticies in loft, but that was only good for 1/4 turn at a time.

• Options
    Unfortunately,
    - the actual sketch I'm trying to use for this is much more complicated than a simple square
    - I definitely want more than 1/4 turn total

Is there documentation somewhere on the variable section sweep?  That looks like it's worth learning about, but it's a bit opaque to me how one would use it.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Here  i describe it usage requarements.