Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

WHY fully define a sketch?

Dave_AccardiDave_Accardi Member Posts: 2 EDU
I understand that defining the shape and size of a part is important, but why does a constraint with the origin (and orientation) matter?  Does it come down to how something like a 3D printer will interpret the model?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Not sure what 'Datums' are, nor will I likely need them with my personal usage of OnShape but as a beginning OnShape and parametric CAD user I've been asking myself the same question. Through many video tutorials I am beginning to see the wisdom of a fully defined sketch, not necessarily the absolute need, but can see how once a drawing is fully defined it won't change with any inadvertent input on the user's part. I still struggle 'fully defining' my sketches and end up with a few 'blue lines' many times but am beginning to understand the concept a bit better with more and experience and will strive for a fully defined sketch every time I can..
  • Options
    ethan_1ethan_1 Member Posts: 17 EDU
    When sketching as a beginner a reason that sketches may seem like they take forever to fully define can because rather than using constraints the user uses the dimension tool far more often. To significantly improve you're sketching learn how to use constraints as well as dimensions to fully define your sketch and portray your design intent. Also, you can always click and drag an entity to see where its degrees of freedom are. Also, beginners can forget to tether their sketch to the origin rather than allow it to float in space.

https://www.onshape.com/videos/sketch-constraints
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I make it a point to have the fewest dimentions as possible. use construction lines and relations to make the shape "smart". If you want it to always want it to grow/shrink from center. Then it makes sense to constrain from the center of the part with one dimention to an edge, rather than dimentioning from each edge independently.

'Datum' is just a point that all dimentions are measured from.
  • Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    john_mcclary said: I make it a point to have the fewest dimentions as possible. use construction lines and relations to make the shape "smart".
    Well said. If you're designing it is even sometimes best do define certain steps of the same sketch idea in separate steps.
    I have many sketches that don't have a single dimension as everything already exists somewhere else in the design to reuse.

In general: When a student has some blue entities in a sketch I will teach him how not to do it. If it is a professional engineer, he will owe me a beer :)
    Only exception: Mirror construction lines without start or end.
  • Options
    I have feeling most posters here have a large amount of experience with other software, are professional engineers or even studied in school how to fully define a sketch, to the degree that any sketch that wasn't fully defined was rejected out of hand by the instructor, or whose author was otherwise penalized by having to by another engineer a beer.

Onshape has a couple videos on what constraints are and there a couple of posts here suggesting a strategy (few dimensions etc.) that are appreciated by newer users, but I can't find any real resource that outlines those strategies in a clear and cogent fashion. Is there a resource one might recommend other than an OnShape video that only illustrates what a constraint is and what it does?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Curious, does a fully defined sketch strategy differ from software to software? Does OnShape have its own preferred strategy(ies) or are the principles fairly universal between software?
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    @larry_hawes, As someone who's been doing CAD for probably a quarter century (ugh!) I think I see your point - it is so second nature to me that I had to think hard about how to try to explain it.  

Lemme ask a question first - are you guys basically trying to hand-draw your sketches to exact size initially as you would with something like tinkercad or sketchup?  In other words if you know you need a 1" circle are trying to drag it to exactly 1" as you draw it?   
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Tom,
    I think the answer to your question, for me, is yes, though OnShape allows to set the dim as the circle is drawn, I would drag the circle left click, enter the dim, and click enter to define the dim. I can see that if for instance a center point circle is drawn starting at the origin, then dimensioned, the circle is fully defined . That same circle drawn in free space, then dimensioned, is not fully defined. This could be a perfect example of the best way to fully define that circle in free space. More than one method surely but those kind of defining strategies is what I'm curious about.
  • Options
    Curious, does a fully defined sketch strategy differ from software to software? Does OnShape have its own preferred strategy(ies) or are the principles fairly universal between software?
    This is something that cannot be taught in a sentence or two.
    It is something you well get a feel for after a few years.

Don't worry so much about it now. but learn from your experiences. You will need to always be aware of "design intent" in order to constrain properly.

And there are always a hand full of ways to constrain the same sketch. There is no wrong answer, just some are more efficient than others to edit.
    You will find some people will do it in different ways also.

You need to do what is comfortable to you.
    And trust me, you may think you did it perfect. But then someone want's to stretch this end of the part in a way you never considered, and you well end up re-constraining it later.  
    All I'm saying is make a conscious effort to stay on top of the possible changes coming down the line, and you will be just fine.

You can have no dimensions and all blue sketches (how it was in autocad...) Heck my first 3D cad assemblies didn't even have mates...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think your advice is most pertinent as I find the beginning 'intent' to be crucial to any follow up strategy. The more experience I have with OnShape the more clearly I can visualize that intent but I can also see there's no real short cuts and experience will surely be key to any strategy one might develop.
  • Options
    Fail early, fail often :wink:
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @larry_hawes

Maybe a course from our learning center will be more helpful than just the videos:
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/fundamentals-sketching

One of the sections of that course is all about constraints.

To answer another one of your curiosities, there is no one canonical way to define the location of your center point circle.  The way that you define the location of your sketch circle in space is all just design intent.  Here are a couple examples.
    Maybe I want to define my circle as x and y distances from the origin:

Maybe I want to define the location of my circle as a distance from the origin, and an angle off the y axis:

In any case, the goal of our sketching system is that you should be able to directly portray your thought process about the location of the circle as a set of dimensions and constraints.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Thanks Jake,

Watched the video (more than once) and understand 'how' to constrain a sketch, it's the 'why' that has me confused and will probably not be fully understood until I get more experience. The advice from posts above imply there may be  better ways to define a sketch than others, perhaps more efficient, perhaps more flexible for future sketching/assembly etc.

It would be nice to have a resource of sorts that explained different strategies and why i.e. when to use dimensions and why; when to use const. lines and why; when to dimension to the origin and why; when to use tangents and why; or when to just use the blue lines because it suits one's purpose in that case.

I do understand I am asking something similar to, "What's better, dimension constraints or origin constraints," and there is no single answer but there may be a time and place where one is preferred over the other and with good reason. It's that 'good reason' that I can't seem to find a resource for.

I will certainly stumble upon my own good reasons to use one strategy over another but a resource explaining the reasons for a certain strategy might be helpful for beginners.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    How do you pro guys feel about 'fix' constraint in sketcher? Use it often?

I have used it like once for something very temporary, I too have learned by mistakes to always 'lock' things in place for better control. And I try to avoid over-constraining stuff 'just t be sure' for easy editing by deleting the most obvious single constraint.

I think Onshape has pretty nice set of constraints these days and once you get hang of them, also editing and removing the right constraint is pretty straight forward. 

Things can get very funny if you try to be smarter than cad and predict where it moves stuff if you give it too much options and it can be a pain to modify if you un-necessarily over-constraint stuff.
    //rami
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    I think "fix" is more for managing sketches imported from dwg/dxf, though for some custom features  you need sketches with fixed refferences to external geometry
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    I think "fix" is more for managing sketches imported from dwg/dxf, 
    That's one good use.
    konstantin_shiriazdanov said:

though for some custom features  you need sketches with fixed refferences to external geometry

fixed references to external geometry?
    That should use constraints or "use".

Fix is for locking something in place in the context of that sketch, so if you move the related object, your fixed point will remain relative to the origin of the sketch.

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

fixed references to external geometry?
    That should use constraints or "use".
    @john_mcclary
    Sorry, I meant external geometry should be projected in the current sketch and then "fix" applied to it.
  • Options
    I'm just saying keep the relation connected. fix would make it over defined. 

I donno, to me fixed is one of those "to be avoided" constraints.
    I rather see construction geometry that visually explains how a sketch is defined.
    This makes it a little cluttered sometimes, but anyone who follows you should be able to tell in an instant how a sketch will behave when they apply an update.

Consider the following:
    This is a weird example, but what you can see exactly what position each circle will be in, and their diameters, without needing to mouse over and view relations one at a time. Fix is just another one of those you can only see it you mouseover the points, or turn on all relations.

Question here is, where did I use "fixed" below.. and why is it bad?

Answer:
    The origin is not referenced, it is in fact floating by just a slight amount.
    That is bad if you are using the origin or part planes/axis in an assembly. (mate connector in onshape)
    your part will be off slightly enough to have mate errors in an assembly. Good luck to the schmuck who has to clean up after this hidden gem. :)

Fixed is evil if abused. Use it as little as possible to not at all IMHO.

• Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Excellent Neil,

I'll review as soon as possible.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    3dcad said:
    I use it to stop my reference geometry turning into zero-length lines. :smile:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Today I found my first use case for 'fix'. I have been struggling on how to use imported dwgs together with native 3d models in combined assembly layout. After several trial & error I ended up sketching simplified model on top of image of dwgs (that are too large to insert into sketch), so I only need to get geometry to sit tight on top of image.
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    Today I found my first use case for 'fix'. I have been struggling on how to use imported dwgs together with native 3d models in combined assembly layout. After several trial & error I ended up sketching simplified model on top of image of dwgs (that are too large to insert into sketch), so I only need to get geometry to sit tight on top of image.
    Right, if you're tracing over an Image, everything is eyeball precision anyways, and the Image will not change based on other parts/sketches. (unless you are scaling the image to a face or something)

That's about the only time I can recall using fix, locking an imported jpeg centered to the origin and properly scaled. To do it with absolute dimensions would be trivial, as they would be random 6 place decimals that have not meaning to anyone anyways. I still throw one dimension on the image so I can copy and paste that in the same sketch on another plane.

• Options
    Off topic but loosely related, how do you move/rotate derived sketch (image)?
    //rami
  • Options
    temporarily Fix a point then delete the horizontal constraint

• Options
    Found this video very helpful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRw3pD6bkks
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Dave_Accardi 

Your simple 1st post ignited quite the discussion about the basics of parametric modeling.

I can hardly wait for your 2nd post.

I think most people starting out are happy to get geometry that looks right. After that, we all start building robust geometry that'll accept and build any change that could possibly occur. There's many techniques, all discussed here nicely and it takes time learning what builds robust geometry and what doesn't. 

Trying to build robust geometry, you'll never get it perfect,  solids fail. Some handle changes better than others and some are built in a way that is easy to understand & fix when they fail. Ultimately this is where you want to be.

I've always thought the best models are: visually correct, robust & easy for the next guy to understand. This takes time and it's what we're all after. 

Welcome to the world of featured based parametric modeling and good luck! It's fun.

• Options
    @billy2 well said