Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Introducing Link tab

2»

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Krz I can see this works fine with Chrome but appears to be some sizing happening with the css in Firefox.  Let me take a look and see if I can fix this.  Sorry for the issues.  I have not been testing this with browser updates lately.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    @lougallo

I seem to be having this issue. Any thoughts?

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Josiah_Harthcock Have you cleared your browser cache?  Have you ever signed in with a different Google account before?  The reports I have had thus far have been related to bad browser cache.  Let me know if that works.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    @lougallo This worked. Thanks! Great addition!
    lougallo said:
    @Josiah_Harthcock Have you cleared your browser cache?  Have you ever signed in with a different Google account before?  The reports I have had thus far have been related to bad browser cache.  Let me know if that works.

• Options
    alan_glaseralan_glaser Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Hi @lougallo! Thanks for this -- it's awesome on Chrome.

However, I seem to be stuck when it comes to Safari. I click the "Sign in with Google" button, select the right account, type in the password, then go right back to the "Sign in with Google" button. When I click again, I can select my account again, but don't have to enter my password the second time (which makes me think it actually did the auth correctly). 

Any thoughts on what to look at?

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @alan_glaser
    Check your security settings in Preferences (the one for the whole Mac): you may have to give permission for the Google credentials to be used.

There's a similar problem on the new macOS for signing into Google File Stream - it may be the same fix.
    This link shows what to enable...
    http://www.creativetechsupport.com/help/google/mac/filestream.html

Good luck!
  • Options
    brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Seeing the same issue as Krz with Google Sheets in Firefox (71.0)....has anyone found a workaround? The tabs opens fine in Chrome.
    Cheers :)

Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Options
    blake_bourqueblake_bourque Member, Developers Posts: 4 EDU
    It seems that new cookie policies in chrome are breaking google authentication. Any chance this will be fixed? @lougallo

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @lougallo
    I added Linktab and went through the authorization dance successfully but I can't seem to get it to do anything beyond create a tab in a document. There's no box to enter a link.

• Options
    I can get Link Tab to ask for a URL, but I can't get anything to show up in it. I've tried a bunch of sites. They all show a sad-faced error like this: 

FWIW I'm using Google Chrome on MacOS 12.0.1

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited December 2021
    I didn't know this existed. Way cool @lougallo !! 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    @MichaelPascoe
    Is it actually working for you? I've never been able to get it to work in Safari or Chrome.
  • Options
    Is there is a way to allow anyone to view the tab as long as its a public link @lougallo?

@S1mon
    Yes. I use Brave, its Chromium based.  B) 

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    @MichaelPascoe
    @lougallo

Are you using Brave on Mac or Windows? On Brave/Mac I'm getting "accounts.google.com refused to connect" when I just add a new Link Tab to a document. I didn't even get the option to enter a URL.

I'm sure this must work for some people, but so far I have never seen Link Tab working. What is going on here?
  • Options
    @S1mon
    Windows 10

• Options
    gonzalo_chomongonzalo_chomon OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    As others commented, I am having problem with this Link-Tab App.
    @lougallo or anyone else can have a look into it.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    BLeeVNBLeeVN Member Posts: 18 PRO
    lougallo said:
    Some preliminary findings... In order for me to have your auth info saved and reused for the app, I am going to have to require a google account to do this today.  I tried to do this without that requirement but in order for the app to run on your behalf, it needs to know who you are and be able to save that.  I wanted to keep this simple and in the early staged of building it, it was going to be for Google apps only... But the workaround is to just make this require you sign into a google account might be the easy way to keep this out there for use... until maybe we build this into Onshape...
    Old Post I know... any news if this will be built into Onshape?  I cannot use Google Services in our Office.  Link Tab is a great idea, similar to MS Edge Collections for grouping Browser Pages I can see Link Tab consolidating Web Content referenced in creating a Document Part.
  • Options
    eric_poulsoneric_poulson Member Posts: 7 PRO
    For the many examples where this is complicated due to authentication issues, could we get a "link tab external" option that would open the link URL in a new browser tab instead of inside the Onshape tab?  (This would be less convenient than having the content appear in the Onshape tab, but would put all the authentication issues back on the browser)
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    For the many examples where this is complicated due to authentication issues, could we get a "link tab external" option that would open the link URL in a new browser tab instead of inside the Onshape tab?  (This would be less convenient than having the content appear in the Onshape tab, but would put all the authentication issues back on the browser)
    You could do that right now by adding hyperlinks in a comment
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    javl0p_2javl0p_2 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I had partial succes getting Link Tab to properly work. For most links, the connection is rejected by the hostpage, even from popular websites such as Youtube or Amazon. 

However, the link to https://www.makeitfrom.com/ works just fine, even allowing me to navigate inside the Onshape tab. 

For the unsuccesful cases, I also noticed something odd. If I click on the "Disconnect link tab" icon on the upper left corner

and then I re-authorise the connection of Link Tab to Onshape, two new icons appear on the upper right corner, "Open link" and "Reset".

And the Open link button redirects me to the website opening a new browser tab. 

This Open Link button was not shown initially, only after reauthorising.
  • Options
    roman_jurt190roman_jurt190 Member Posts: 32 EDU
    BLeeVN said:
    lougallo said:
    Some preliminary findings... In order for me to have your auth info saved and reused for the app, I am going to have to require a google account to do this today.  I tried to do this without that requirement but in order for the app to run on your behalf, it needs to know who you are and be able to save that.  I wanted to keep this simple and in the early staged of building it, it was going to be for Google apps only... But the workaround is to just make this require you sign into a google account might be the easy way to keep this out there for use... until maybe we build this into Onshape...
    Old Post I know... any news if this will be built into Onshape?  I cannot use Google Services in our Office.  Link Tab is a great idea, similar to MS Edge Collections for grouping Browser Pages I can see Link Tab consolidating Web Content referenced in creating a Document Part.
    Hi there! for education, having up to date google-slides with youtube videos and screenshots... (a bit like lerningcenter) would be super cool. but making it mandatory for students to have a google-account connected to onshape is just not possible. @lougallo any ideas when this could be integrated into onshape?
  • Options
    david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 17 PRO
    @lougallo this is really a cool tool. The problem is the connection to Google, is there any update there?