Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New to CAD, Help Please..

dale_burtondale_burton Member Posts: 5
Hi, 

I’m new to CAD, well, im entirely computer illiterate to be honest. I’m an engineer of sorts, ‘hands on’ type, not into computers and to old to have learnt it at school..

I’m using the Onshape iPad App, Iv managed to draw a cylinder and the through hole and counterbore I wanted, but I can not workout how to set the diameter of the cylinder?
Im also having trouble working out how to select stuff, ie. when making a Hole, i select to make a hole and the drop box says I havnt selected where to put the hole, I then can’t workout how to select the location. The holes I have managed to make have almost been by accident, I can’t seem to do the same thing as before.   

Iv looked for tutorials on getting started with cad, but they all presume you know the basics. Can anyone point me towards a good tutorial for a ‘first day’ student? 

Kind regards
MrD

Best Answers

Answers

• dale_burtondale_burton Member Posts: 5
    Ah fantastic, thank you. Iv managed to set the diameter. 
    I will indeed take a good look at the Fundamentals. Leaning this stuff is extremely daunting but it’s quite addictive when you see the thing coming to life. 
    Thank you for the help, and thank you for making this fantastic program free. 
    Kind regards
    MrD
    Hi All, 

I’m now getting on quite well with the few bits im designing, one thing im currently struggling with is putting a Thread onto an Extrusion, I want to make it an M6 thread. I have tried the Helix tool but I was hoping to have preset threads rather than entering values which I don’t know.  Any pointers? 

Kind regards
    MrD
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Try this (add to your toolbar using the "+ custom features" button at the top after opening this doc): https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Hi Neil, thanks for the prompt reply. I’m using the iPad App and don’t seem to be able to add this feature. Might there be another way to add this to the App? 
    Kind regards

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @dale_burton true - you can only add custom features to your toolbar from the web app but once added you can use it on your iPad. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI