Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Disable weird / annoying selections of hidden parts / faces

2»

Answers

• Options
    viktor_solenoidviktor_solenoid Member Posts: 12
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

You are right about the 0 offset. Anyway, I still think that 3 sketches and 2 additional planes are a bit too much for a loft between 2 pipes (just for example). The last year and a half I'm working almost only in onshape but I'm still not sure if simple shapes have to be made with that much effort. I'm trying to keep my parts simple, with the less possible steps, so I don't have to name every sketch loosing even more time. It's probably just me. 
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    I'm beginning to change my tune on this issue.

I noticed @lana using this property as intended in one of her help 
    wow!   I had no idea this was intended OS behavior.   I've been encountering this for quite a while now, and figuring workarounds like the 0 offset plane. Just a bug, I thought.    
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696
    @owen_sparks
    Thank you for paying attention :smile: . As you can imagine this functionality has been a subject of debate internally. 
  • Options
    RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    edited May 2018
    lana said:
    @owen_sparks
    Thank you for paying attention :smile: . As you can imagine this functionality has been a subject of debate internally. 
    Maybe something like this could be enabled / disabled in the users settings, similar to where you select your default units of measurement. I know that I would choose to always disable it. In the rare time that I right-click new sketch and want all of the lines on that face imported, i just right click create edge selection of loop/chain, click add, then click "use". but it is very rare that I will need all of the lines and points on that face. normally it is just one or 2 lines that I need (and the plane that the face is on). 

and the majority of the time, having those extra lines / vertices imported into that sketch by default is a hindrance. 
  • Options
    viktor_solenoidviktor_solenoid Member Posts: 12
    Totally agree. The whole concept of having exact drawings/sketches for every extrusion gets somehow lost with these invisible and often unexpected extrusions. Now, when I know it's not a bug I could learn to use them from time to time, but I'll definitely enjoy having a way to have more control over it. 
  • Options
    james_sleemanjames_sleeman Member, Developers Posts: 21 ✭✭
    For future googlers, like me, "Disable Imprinting" when you create (or edit) the sketch, is a solution to this issue...