Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

transparent material in RealityServer

Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi !
I just started using RealityServer and I struggle with transparent materials.
It seems to work pretty well with metals but I do not obtain the render I want with plexiglass plates. I tried many materials in glass and transparent plastic but none of them are transparent enough. I tried changing the parameters but I don't see the difference. 
I'd like to obtain a plate totally transparent and quite reflective, like a real plexiglass plate. 
If you have any advices, I would be glad to read it ! 
Thank you !
(My example is this file )

In this other example, the front, bottom, top and base plates should be in transparent plexiglass too and the inside of the robot should be (really) visible.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Ornella_Tortorici - if you dont get the community help you're looking for, you may want to click the support link on the Reality Server App store page.
    The individual partners should be providing some level of application support.
    Good luck! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    Just saw this. Can I get the rough dimensions of that plate shown in the first image (just l x w x h) so I can make a small test case to setup some material settings for you.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @paul_arden - ah, there you are.
    I am in the same boat - what is the simplest way to make a part x% translucent? 
    Thank you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Phillip, the easiest way is to click on the Edit Appearance button in a Part Studio and adjust the transparency slider.  That part will change in any assembly which uses the part.
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    I am just putting together an example but in the meantime a couple of points.

The transparency/opacity in the Onshape appearance settings to indeed control the converted material transparency, however this will not give reflections, you need to edit the converted material or use another to add reflections.

Also, just to note that translucency is quite a different thing from transparency. The way we tend to define materials the degree to which is is translucent is basically how glossy the transparency is, the higher the glossiness the clearer it is, the lower the glossiness the more frosted or milky it appears.

I think the main issue with the image in the top of the original post is that when you see through the material you are seeing the background environment, not white as you might expect, if you remove the background colour it actually looks a lot more like clear acrylic.

As I say, I am just putting together some additional material for this.
  • Options
    Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thank you for your very complete answer ! 

I come a little late to answer yours about the dimension : for example, my top and base plate are 235mmx170mm and 3mm/5mm for the thickness. 
    Thank you for your explanation about transparency an translucency, being french I didn't see clearly the difference.

Here is a picture of  the real systems and I wanted to obtain a similar render. It's very translucent AND transparent. It seems that your explanation conducts to this so I'll try it !

Thank you so much !