Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Speed up hole feature

CAD_SSPCAD_SSP Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
The Hole feature is extremely slow to regenerate could it be looked at to see if it could be sped up?

A very basic feature creating a blind hole 5mm x 12 mm on 5 selected points takes 110ms compared to sketching 5 circles and removing the extrusion to the same depth taking just 14ms.

See example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2af88d9f948183b397aec066/w/c4ebd9ab85761466d042c7f2/e/e036c16cdf7f2871dc529e95

The advantage of a hole feature rather than creating a hole from an extrusion is both speed and the convenience of hole callout on drawings.

When I have a few hours spare I will try and create a much more basic version of the hole feature as I only ever create very basic holes so most of it is not needed.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Except when editing them, why aren't holes treated as extrudes or revolves for regeneration purposes? I don't mind that the original regeneration when creating a hole is longer, but after that it is simply a series of faces and edges.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @keith_marsh
    It does add an angle to the bottom of the hole.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    @mbartlett21
    Good point, I have added a chamfer to mirror the creation exactly, this adds a few ms so it is now:

Hole feature: 110ms
    Extrude remove & Chamfer: 20ms

Actually I would rather it didn't add the angle, mostly I call the hole feature from featurescript so I can get rid of the angle :smile:
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @keith_marsh
    Do you have a link to it?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    @mbartlett21 yes it is in the original post