Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In assembly, pause all relations, move a part, then resume relations

RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
edited May 2018 in Community Support
I have a gear rack connected to a gear connected to a gear connected to another gear rack. When I finish setting up all the relations, the first gear rack jumps to 1/2 through its full range of travel while the second gear rack is at its starting range of travel. I need to be able to move my first gear rack back by 1/2 its travel but doing so will cause the second to be at -1/2 its range of travel. I want to pause all the relations, move my first gear rack to its starting point, then resume the relations. 

I have no idea why the first rack jumps forward by 1/2 its travel when I make the final rack and pinion but it does, and I'd like to fix this. 

The left side of the two racks are on the same plane until I make the final rack/pinion relation between the smaller rack and the gear seen on the left here, at which point the longer rack goes from being at the same starting point as the smaller rack to where it is now, which is offset from the smaller rack by roughly the size of the smaller rack. 

Best Answer

• RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    @RyanAvery

Would it be possible for you to make your doc public and post a link here?
    It is shared to support. The name ends in "17" 
    I've since solved it a different way and now it is working correctly so you can ignore this thread. 

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    suppress the mate, move, un-suppress
    It jumps back when I unsupress. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited May 2018
    @RyanAvery

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    That's odd, shouldn't
    edited May 2018
    I figured it out. When I made the rack and pinion connection, the rack didn't want to stay put, it wanted to jump to where it was at the time the slider mate connection was made for the rack (rack and pinion requires a slider mate and a rotational mate). So my solution was to put the rack where I would want it in the future when I would be making the rack and pinion mate, make the slider mate when it is at that position, then when I make the rack and pinion mate it jumps to there, no matter where it is, but that is now the correct position i wanted.  
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    @RyanAvery

It is shared to support. The name ends in "17" 
    I've since solved it a different way and now it is working correctly so you can ignore this thread. 
    In addition, I'll save views showing differing positions of an assembly.

You might want to keep that mate connector, call it 'reset', and suppress it. That way you have a way to reset it if something goes wrong.

billy2 said:
    In addition, I'll save views showing differing positions of an assembly.

You might want to keep that mate connector, call it 'reset', and suppress it. That way you have a way to reset it if something goes wrong.

In addition to what? 
    Using a mate connector to define the initial position of a mechanism. It's also a good way to get back to a common state when doing in-context design.

To show the closed state, open state, position 1, position 2 ie... I capture each state by using save view and toggle through the various postions of my mechanism as opposed to dragging the assembly around looking for interferences at each position. 

edited May 2018
    In addition to that:

I'd like it to animate through saved positions and stop if it hits something. Not that I've ever designed something that hits something else.  B) 

I've never seen anything this simple and elegant. But for equipment designers, it'd be a great feature.

Post your equipment when complete, I'd like to see it.