Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feedback and suggestions.

clayton_ertleyclayton_ertley Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
I first want to say that I am excited to be using this program! It is very, very much like Solidworks which is my favorite program of all... and also very, VERY expensive!

But If I could suggest some things, they would be as follows:

The ability to create and arc using center>start point>end point.

The ability to select multiple splitting entities in the split part command

The ability to manually turn on and off different snap modes.

The ability to snap to inactive sketches..or at least the ability to turn that function on and off in a context menu via right click on the sketch

The ability to right click anywhere and show ALL parts instead of selecting multiple parts then showing.

I'm sure there is a lot more that will be needed but I have only used the program for about an hour.

Other than that, I understand that the program is in a beta stage and am very, very excited to see the program evolve!

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Interesting point about arcs from centrepoints. I hadn't actually noticed the absence, but I do occasionally use it in Solidworks.

Obviously the Onshape workaround for the moment is to place a circle from the centrepoint, rather than just an arc. 
    You will probably find, once you've used the program for a while, that you don't need to trim away the unused sector of the arc, because when you use the sketch, OnS lets you pick different profiles without trimming away superfluous extensions.

Occasionally this is confusing (because the resulting sketch becomes cluttered) or behaves poorly (because it is difficult to select the exact desired enclosed area), but give it a try.

----

On one of your other points: regarding what you call "snap modes": personally, I would like to see this rolled into a more general-purpose selection filter capability, so that it applies not just to inferring constraints, but to preselection of entities in order to specify explicit constraints but I would hope it would be a lot more slim and elegant in operation than the selection filters in Solidworks. 

I'm thinking of a 'dashboard' display of filter icons, which the user could easily prune to a shortlist (the Solidworks one had a whole bunch, most of which I, for one, would never ever use). I would like the dashboard to self-adjust depending on whether I'm in a Part Studio, or an Assembly, or a Drawing, or whatever, remembering how I pruned it last.

I'm trying to persuade Onshape to permit the use of alphabetical keys as modifiers (in other words, to enable the use of the keys A-Z in the same way as Ctrl or Alt), and I would like to see it work something like this: to Filter Sketch entities: hold down F (for Filter) and press S. To switch to Filter (sketch) Endpoints: hold down F and press E. The highlighted icon in the dashboard would flip to the Endpoint icon. To cancel, hold down F and press E again. To get a reminder of the shortcuts, hover over the icon. The tooltip display would flash up and show "F+E".

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The ability to right click anywhere and show ALL parts instead of selecting multiple parts then showing.
    If you have nothing selected and RMB on the graphics area, there is an option to "Show All".  This will show all parts, sketches, helices, planes, surfaces, and mate connectors.  While not exactly what you are asking, it is part of the way there.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options

Obviously the Onshape workaround for the moment is to place a circle from the centrepoint, rather than just an arc. 
    You will probably find, once you've used the program for a while, that you don't need to trim away the unused sector of the arc, because when you use the sketch, OnS lets you pick different profiles without trimming away superfluous extensions.

Occasionally this is confusing (because the resulting sketch becomes cluttered) or behaves poorly (because it is difficult to select the exact desired enclosed area), but give it a try.

I actually found this out just minutes after posting the thread. I am used to Rhino 3d, Solidworks and Blender.

A snap system like they use in rhino would be great! 

I design custom rubiks cubes and the software is already good enough for that ( it is not as easy as you might think )

• Options
    I would like to add one thing to my suggestions. In the Solidworks feature tree we are able to create new folder to put features into.

I think this would be very useful as it is a little frustrating to have to scroll up and down looking for a feature related to a specific solid/surface/feature.

Thanks for reading my post and thanks to the Onshape team for bringing us this awesome program!
    I'm looking forward to see how this program develops through time!

-Clay
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @clayton_ertley If you have suggestions please send them in via the feedback tool.  This will make the process of tracking much easier until I get out the public improvement voting tool here.  Thanks.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallo Thanks for the advice. I wan not entirely familiar with the tool. I will use it from now on.