Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to prevent sub-parts from melding together?

daniel_s_wolfdaniel_s_wolf Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Community Support
Say I plan to create a frame by screwing together four wooden boards. I might start with a sketch like this:

Then I might extrude all four outer faces individually, like this:

Here's the first part of my problem: The information that these are four individual boards is getting lost in the visualization. All four extrudes are melded together into a seamless part.

Now, if I import this part into a drawing, it's the same thing:

I added in red lines. Is there a way to get it to display like this?

I realize that I could have created individual parts in the part studio. (Let's ignore for a moment the fact that all four sub-parts are identical.) But for objects consisting of many individual elements, I find it much easier to create them as a single part.

Edit: The answers so far indicate that it is not possible to create a single part comprised of multiple "sub-parts" and see the seams between these sub-parts. If I want to see these lines, I actually have to create multiple parts. Thanks to all!

Answers