Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

GTX 980ti vrs GTX 1070 Founders edition

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,899 PRO
edited May 2018 in General
FYI, in case you are planning on buying a 1070 anytime soon.

So my GTX 980ti took a crap recently, and I have been seeing a lot of benchmarks for the 1070 that pretty much puts it on par with the 980ti
So I figured, well I need to replace it anyways, and the price was the same, perhaps with new drives the 1070 will eventually be a better choice.

Well, it's far from that with Onshape at least.
Here is the difference between the two according to the compatibility check:

Both are feeding a 40" 4K screen

Old GTX 980 TI:

New GTX 1070:

So pretty much I'm going to try and get my money back for the 1070 and find a used 980 ti again....

Comments

• Options
    EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    That performance value is suspiciously low for the 1070.  This makes me suspect there may be something about the system configuration that is causing the card to underperform relative to its potential.  That card should definitely be in the bright green end of the gauge!

We have seen instances where certain monitors cause issues with performance.  If you have a different monitor, you could try hooking it up to see if that alters the performance check results.

I also have anecdotal evidence that adjusting the display scale can cause performance issues.  This could be another thing to check:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028566/windows-10-change-the-size-of-text

Finally, it never hurts to see if another browser (e.g., Firefox) is exhibiting the same issue.

If you get a chance to test any of these factors, please let us know the result.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Well switching to my 1080p 27" monitor bosted the performance back to what I would expect.

But why would the 980 handle the 4k monitor better than the 1070?? heh

• Options
    EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    Interesting.  Thank you for sharing the result!

My suspicion is that something is doing an extra transformation of the framebuffer for the high dpi display, which is hindering performance.  I'd be curious to know if the same performance issue is reproducible in Firefox with the 4K display.  If not, that would suggest that the performance issue lies with Chrome.  If it is reproducible on Firefox, that would suggest that the performance issue is with Nvidia's drivers, or Windows itself.

It is curious that one Nvidia card would exhibit the issue, while another would not.
  • Options
    I got the same results on FF

Thanks for your insights