Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Add Training Completed Badge to User Header?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

The learning center has some great exercises to rubber stamp one's understanding of Onshape's features.

Once a user has passed a badge is awarded.

I used to think such things were a bit gimmicky, but they're growing on me...

I don't know how others feel when it comes to forum help but personally I'm happy to try help out anybody where I can, but I'll put more effort into answers where it's clear the user is putting in effort to learn themselves and then asking for help once stuck.

With this in mind I think it'd be great if this training icon were to be displayed next to the users name in forum posts along with the existing Pro / Mentor / Star Rating.  It might also encourage folks to do the training just have the badge!

As the training developed there could be the equivalence of the MS certified professional scheme for consultants and the like.

Maybe that's utter overkill, and in no way do I wish to discourage anybody posting anything they like on the forum.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Seconded! I don't think this is overkill; in my opinion this idea wouldn't dissuade anyone from posting but might save you more knowledgeable people from wasting your time on the "I'm just here to rubbish Onshape" brigade and the "Please help me build a <massive project>" beginners.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Thanks @brian_jordan, that's eloquently put.

Thinking about it more it would also allow a bit better understanding of how to pitch the help.

If we take a recent "gear" generation thread then "how do I model this?" question would have answers ranging from:

(a) "Simple first steps learning how do drive OS just as an exercise scenario", Help = so here's a sketch, yada-yada
    (b) "I've done a bit but am still treating this as training scenario".  Help = perhaps introducing configurations at this point would be a good nudge.
    (c) "I know what I'm doing, this isn't for learning, I actually need a gear scenario" Help = use existing FS generator.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    +1
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It would give insight into what level of assistance to give someone.

I tend to use the qty of posts and I snoop their profile page for badges. If they only have 2 or 3 posts, I will assume they are completely new and will explain in over detail how to do something. Which leads to some real 2LDR answers.

unfortunately there are a lot of users that have 3 year old accounts with only 1 post, so some people may be very self sufficient but may have gotten stuck on one tiny thing after 1000 hrs of use under their belt. Then they get answers that are very patronizing because we just don't know better.

Also there are many of us (including myself) who just haven't gotten around to unlocking that achievement yet :smile:
    I attempted a few times but end up skipping to the end and just taking the tests, then I get bored after a few chapters :smile:

I would hate to put a "grade" by peoples name either, as that can be insulting to some people with a lot of cad experience, but new to onshape.
    I mean I got voted down the other day for linking someone to the learning center LOL so it takes all kinds I guess :smile:

I would suggest some indicator that shows active time on their profile as well, like steam does:

That should give some good insight to the level of help to give.

If you see 1000 hours on their profile, you should be able to skip the process of "select the face, right click, select new sketch...."
    Instead you could just flat out say, you need to create a sketch.
    (yea I know a little too simple, but you all have seen it where this was actually required to help some new people)
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a "No" then. Shame.