Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I create a pattern of extrusions between a series of points along 2 curves?

neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
edited June 2018 in Using Onshape
I need to demonstrate how to create a pattern of rods between a series of equally spaced points along 2 closed, non-planar curves. 

The document referenced below contains 2 3D helix curves. One is just a rotated copy of the other. The Faulty Pillar Pattern feature at the bottom of the list results in a pattern of pillars that aren't oriented between the points on the 2 curves.

Any help is appreciated.

- Bob

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8dfc6891ecb886093e70404c/w/7f42e8fc37fdf36cc5629453/e/75fc5fc5d4755991128fedff

Comments

• Options
    john_hackingtonjohn_hackington Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Hi Bob! 

This is a very interesting problem you have here. If possible, you might like to post this as a question in the "Community Support" category where it will likely get more readily answered. I'm interested to find out too.

@neobobkrause

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bob! 

This is a very interesting problem you have here. If possible, you might like to post this as a question in the "Community Support" category where it will likely get more readily answered. I'm interested to find out too.
    not actually a big problem, just needed a feature that would place points along a path. @mahir had some plans to make one with more options than mine

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This changes how I design in OnShape pretty fundamentally.
    I had the same feelings when found that feature pattern takes into account external variables when regenerates features. This makes feature-based modeling more like graphic programming. FS developers done a great job to pack such an advanced functionality into one little function