Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"Onshape is not connected"

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
Hi. Quite often, I get disconnected from my work (on average about 5 times a day for the last 2 years) with the greyed-out screen and message "Onshape is not connected - your work is saved, etc." 

This happens at multiple locations where the internet is generally very fast and works fine for all other activities, including extremely rapid live things like gaming, etc. 

My questions: 

1: Why does this happen so much even with a good internet connection? 
2: Why can't Onshape automatically attempt reconnect instead of disrupting work by requiring a page refresh? 

Thanks,

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @dan_engerer

Sorry to hear about this!  It's definitely a problem if this is happening while you are interacting with the product.  We have all sorts of logs internally to dig into stuff like this, please submit a support ticket using the "feedback" button under the "?" menu in your Part Studio so that we can start to investigate.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @dan_engerer. We've traced a bunch of these over the years and they very frequently are caused by network disconnects on our customer's side of the network. Are you switching networks? A common cause is switching WiFi networks or switching between wired and WiFi connections. Other services (like games) are not as sensitive to network disconnects as we are.

We have talked internally about doing the automatic reconnect, but there is some complexity around doing that. I'm looking for existing improvement requests around this now. I'll have you open a new one if I can't find an existing one.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    I've been trying to get some work done all day and now at home trying again.  Nothing but "loading studio data" rotating ball on everything.   Looks like support guys are not around after hours.   The disconnects are also an issue, more so today.   Same on IOS, nothing loading.     What a costly day not being able to work.   
  • bennett_starkbennett_stark Member Posts: 2 EDU
    john_rousseau explains it's happening due to wifi or internet change. Isn't that suppose to be Onshape's selling point work from any browser from anywhere ?

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Well, of course you will be limited to your internet connection and availability of electricity, then a basic computer or cell phone. 

Pretty modest requirements concidering everything you can do with that minimal setup. 

But like always, if you're playing with the bare minimum, then your experience will be a bit less than someone with a perfect connection and superior computer.

But that gap isn't really that far from each other. I've tested Onshape on a fan less $200 computer and a $2000 computer. The only real problem is  loading up and a little bit choppy rotation.The same model in Solidworks is bearly able to zoom or rotate even on the $2000 computer. But exporting to Onshape then running on the $200 computer is still faster than solidworks on my $2000 computer...

Because of that I am starting to export to parasolid and upload to Onshape for shop models, rather than eDrawings, since the shop users are all on thoes $200 throw away computers.